Asian Championship: PBBF to conduct dope tests on bodybuilders

Federation also in process of registering gyms and clubs


Natasha Raheel July 24, 2016
Federation in process of registering gyms and clubs. PHOTO: Stock Image

KARACHI: The Pakistan Body Building Federation (PBBF) will send athletes to the Asian Championship in Bhutan in September only after administrating the mandatory dope test of the participants.

Earlier this year, at least three bodybuilders passed away in quick succession due to heart failure, while 2016 Mr South Asian Bodybuilding Champion Humayun  Khurram died after choking on food.

The PBBF secretary Sheikh Farooq Fasial assured that steps would be taken to ensure only clean athletes will participate internationally in order to curb this  issue. “We’ll be conducting dope tests for our participants for the Asian Championship to ensure transparency,” the secretary told The Express Tribune.

Pakistani bodybuilder hits back at critics after finishing fourth

The official acknowledged that the unfortunate deaths had severely affected the bodybuilding circuit of the country, and assured that the federation had taken necessary steps by starting registration processes for gyms and clubs, as steroids and other medicines may be sold there indiscreetly.

“Any gym or club that fails to register in time will be banned from having its body builders in the events,” said the secretary.

“The death of the bodybuilders is a sad reality, it has given out a bad message internationally as well,” said Faisal. “But we’re trying our best. The gym and club registration will end this month, so we’re hoping that every bodybuilding facility comes forward.”

PBBF spreads awareness about steroids

On the other hand, Faisal also added that the most recent death of Irfan Butt in Gujranwala this month was not related to bodybuilding. Butt, who was reported to be a 25-year-old, was actually in his 40’s and was not a bodybuilder.

There will be at least four bodybuilders representing the country at the Asian Championship, with Mr Pakistan Waqas Tariq opting to skip the event, in order to prepare for the World Championship that will take place in November.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 24th, 2016.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read