Pakistan lost a legendary singer in 2012. On his death anniversary, we commemorate Mehdi Hassan’s contribution to music.
Take this quiz to find out how well you know him.
Here are the answers for those too lazy to take the quiz.
1. Mehdi is globally known as the ‘Shehenshah-e-Ghazal’ or the ‘King of Ghazal.’
2. He influenced big artists like Jagjit Singh and Sonu Nigam.
3. Mehdi worked in a bicycle shop and later turned into a car and tractor mechanic, but continued to practice singing on a daily basis.
4. His first song was Jis ne mere dil ko dard diya from the film Susral in 1962.
5. His claim to fame was his ghazal titled Gulon main rang bharay baad-e-naubahar chale, written by Faiz Ahmed Faiz.
6. His last concert was held in Kerala, India.
7. He was born in Luna, Rajasthan into a family of traditional musicians.
8. Mehdi has a plethora of awards to his name, including Pride of Performance (1985), Tamgha-e-Imtiaz (1985), Hilal-e-Imtiaz (2010), and Nishan-e-Imtiaz (2010).
9. Mehdi left behind a large family, consisting of two wives and 14 children.
10. He was the highest paid Ghazal singer in the subcontinent.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.