PESHAWAR: Trans-Action Alliance K-P Coordinator and Shemale Association President Farzana has voiced her dissatisfaction over the committee probing the death of transgender person Alesha who lost her life due to the alleged mismanagement of staff at Lady Reading Hospital (LRH). She was brought to the medical facility after being shot multiple times.
Addressing a news conference at Police Club on Sunday, along with SSP Operation Abbas Majeed Marwat and Faqirabad ASP Wasim Riaz, she said their representatives should be included in the committee.
LRH authorities could not provide urgent care for the victim as they kept her waiting for over an hour while deciding whether to shift her to the male or female ward.
At the time, Blue Veins Coordinator Qamar Naseem said hospital authorities were to blame for Alesha’s death as they “failed to provide her with urgent care or necessary facilities as she was a transgender person”.
“We blame LRH authorities for not giving Alesha urgent care or providing facilities to her even after the story was highlighted in the media and government officials took action,” he said.
Although several requests were made to move her to the female ward, the injured was shifted to the male ward. This sparked protests from the transgender community and her relatives.
The prime suspect
Earlier, Marwat told the media the main suspect in the Alesha’s murder case, Fazal Gujjar, had been arrested during a raid in Qazi Kalay.
“This was a high profile murder and we have finally arrested the main accused,” he said.
“Fazal Gujjar and the deceased had a fight on May 17 in which Alesha threw a glass at him,” he said. “On May 22, the suspect reached the plaza where Alesha had rented a room and shot her, leaving the victim critically injured.”
The ASP said the suspect switched off his mobile phone and his location could not be pinpointed. However, Gujjar switched on the device on Saturday and this revealed his location. The police immediately raided the house he was hiding in and arrested him.
Farzana and Naseem said leading lawyers of the city were in contact with them and would follow the case through in court with their help. He added there was no question of stepping back now.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 30th, 2016.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ