As many as 40 people, including 30 women, were hospitalised following a gas leak at a biscuit factory near Vehari Chowk in Multan on Wednesday. Muhammad Sarfaraz, a worker at the factory, told newsmen that the incident had occurred early in the morning when workers arrived. He said the gas had leaked overnight but workers were unaware of it. “One by one, people began to faint soon after they started work,” he said. He said the incident had occurred in the baking area where most of the workers were women. He said the factory owners had not called Rescue 1122 and shifted the workers to a private hospital. A doctor at the hospital told newsmen that 16 workers had been moved to Nishtar Hospital in a critical condition. He said 20 others were released after they were provided first aid. Afzal Ali, a resident of the area, told newsmen that his mother and sister had been working at the factory. “The factory owners did not contact us. I found out that my mother and sister had been taken to a hospital when Iw went to deliver lunch,” he said.
The owners of the factory declined comment.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 14th, 2016.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ