Land dispute: Police fail to arrest suspect in shooting case

Culprit allegedly shot and injured his sister-in-law and niece

Our Correspondent February 23, 2016

SUKKUR: Despite a lapse of four days, the Shikarpur police have failed to arrest a culprit who was involved in firing and injuring a woman and her minor daughter in Ayub Khan Chandio village situated within Dakhan police limits on February 19.

The accused is said to be backed by a local influential, due to which police are reluctant to arrest him. According to reports, four days ago, Ehsan Ali Chandio opened fire at his elder brother’s wife Salma and her seven-year-old daughter Faiza and fled. The woman and her daughter were shifted to Civil Hospital, Larkana, in an injured condition. Salma’s father, Abdul Hayee Chandio, registered an FIR against Ehsan on the same day, but the culprit is yet to be arrested by the police.

Held on tip-off: Momin Town attack culprit arrested

Talking to The Express Tribune on phone, the woman’s father said that he and his brother have been involved in a land dispute for a while. Salma is married to Abdul’s nephew, Zahid Ali Chandio. “My daughter tried to convince her husband and brother-in-law to ask the elders to sit down and resolve the dispute once and for all,” Adbul said. He added that instead of taking her advice, her brother-in-law shot and injured Salma and her daughter.

Abdul further said that the Dakhan police registered an FIR against Ehsan, but seem reluctant to arrest him because he is being backed by an influential person of the area. The woman’s father claimed that neither the SHO, nor any other police officials are giving him a positive response. He appealed to the Larkana DIG and Sindh IG to take notice and order the police to take the culprit into custody for justice.

When contacted, Dakhan police SHO Nisar Alam Abro said Salma’s husband did not want to register an FIR. Her husband said the dispute will be resolved in the family, however, Salma’s father insisted to register the case, the SHO claimed.

The police official said he was busy in some official duty for the past two days and on Tuesday he raided some places to arrest the culprit. He added that the accused might have gone underground, but assured that the police was trying their best to arrest the accused and promised to arrest him within the next 24 hours. Shikarpur SSP Nisar Aftab was not available for comments.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 24th, 2016.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read