
The selection committee, finalising the list of players for contracts, effective from January 1, has sought the board’s clearance for the players.
Malik and Kaneria were not cleared after they failed to satisfy the Integrity Committee that was probing their alleged links with bookies.
While Kaneria was awarded the category A contract last year, Malik was first ignored after a one-year ban was imposed on him after the winless tour of Australia. The former captain, however, was then handed a C category contract after the ban reversal in May.
“We need clearance for all the players being considered for the central contracts,” a selector told The Express Tribune. “And especially for the ones who are under the scanner of the Integrity Committee.”
Announcement faces delay
While the selectors mull over the central contracts, the announcement of which is already delayed, the PCB is likely to take more time.
A PCB official said the board may delay announcement of the central contracts.
“It may face further delay and the board can’t give an exact time of its announcement,” said the official.
Last year, the PCB had also decided against announcing the central contracts in January before finalising them in March.
Published in The Express Tribune, January 17th, 2011.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ