5 reasons why 'Sanam Teri Kasam' failed to impress

Published: February 8, 2016
PHOTO: PUBLICITY

PHOTO: PUBLICITY

Just like a soda bottle, Sanam Teri Kasam’s fizz settled down soon after it premiered in Karachi.

Given that it’s Mawra Hocane’s Bollywood debut, our homegrown talent deserves credit for her acting prowess in the film. But even her acting couldn’t save the clumsy script from drowning.

Sanam Teri Kasam stars Mawra in the lead role as Saraswati Parthasarthy (aka Saru) alongside Indian actor Harshvardhan Rane as Inder Parihar, who also marked his Bollywood debut.  The pair’s effortless chemistry was the only saving grace in the two-and-a-half hour film.

Here are five reasons (spoiler alert) to help you decide whether this film is worth a watch.

1. You know the ending before it starts

Major giveaway! One of the starting shots shows a heartbroken Inder standing under the shade of a tree that reads Saraswati Parihar (1994-2015). Okay so, Mawra dies in the course of the film, no happy ending.

Mawra Hocane: If SRK can do it, why can’t I?

2. The never-ending ‘bechari’ syndrome

Just when we thought we wouldn’t see Mawra in a damsel-in-distress avatar anymore, she gives us yet another tear-ridden role. This time around she plays a nerdy girl who suffer from the so-called victim personality.

3. It’s all about impressing guys

Mawra’s character seems to only have one goal in life: to impress the opposite sex so she can get married. But since her sati savitri (simple) look is a major hindrance, her desperation gets the better of her. She ends up on Inder’s door at 4am begging for a beauty transformation.

After having previously been rejected by almost 10 guys, Saru’s amazing transformation makes her crush (one of her colleagues) swoon over her and she readily accepts his marriage proposal. Cliché much?

Not competing with Mahira Khan, says Mawra Hocane on Bollywood debut

4. Indigestible dialogues

The dialogues were cringe-worthy.

“Main itni easily give up nahi karti. Main nayi Saru ban ke office jaongi,” Saru after being disowned by her father, and gaining new self confidence after her transformation.

Wife ko permission nahi doge, toh kaise jaegi?” Saru on her deathbed.

20 things you didn’t know about Mawra Hocane

5. The never-ending end

Saru’s death was a tiring affair, one which refused to end and went on forever and ever …

If we didn’t convince you, here’s the trailer of the film to help you make up your mind:

• Ali
    Feb 8, 2016 - 6:34PM

should have avoided the inappropriate news cover picRecommend

• madhusudan
    Feb 8, 2016 - 6:49PM

Mawra aapa”s performance in the film sure will fetch her best actress award.Recommend

• Bunny Rabbit
    Feb 8, 2016 - 7:17PM

The girl needs to put a bit more meat on the bones. Shes too waif thin to be taken as a heroine. She should come out of that size zero fairy tale .Recommend

• Ridz
    Feb 8, 2016 - 11:49PM

The movie aint that bad as people are criticizing. At least i found the story line better than Dilwaley!Recommend

• Sadaf
    Feb 9, 2016 - 1:11AM

Saraswati Parihar (1994-2005)
    She plays an eleven year old!? What!?Recommend

• Sameer
    Feb 9, 2016 - 1:45AM

It only pak media who create hype of its actors like mawra, fawad, meera etc….but in reality they don’t make it in Bollywood Recommend

• k k khan
    Feb 9, 2016 - 4:04AM

pic on the top seems like a rape sceneRecommend

• TANDi
    Feb 9, 2016 - 7:24AM

Watch Airlift, it is a good movie.Recommend

• Ayesha
    Feb 9, 2016 - 11:53AM

Sounds like an adaptation of “A walk to remember”. Recommend

• minal
    Feb 9, 2016 - 5:03PM

Its cute movie yar dnt criticize the efforts of the actors atleastRecommend

• nasir
    Feb 9, 2016 - 8:59PM

The country formed on the name of Islam is way too far to accomplish it’s founders imagination.The corrupt politicians,Judges,media, etc all are prevailing due to non-implementation of the shariah law which was the basis of formation of Pakistan.following the path of shaitan doing obscene will further hurt you more.Recommend

• Areya
    Feb 10, 2016 - 1:45AM

The movie was as not bad as you ppl are criticizing ,, it is a very nice movie really liked itRecommend

• ironMan!
    Feb 10, 2016 - 10:42AM

@Sadaf:
    it’s 1994 – 2015 – she lived 21 years. lol Recommend

• T
    Feb 10, 2016 - 1:25PM

Cheap person tried it hard to get fameRecommend

• Queen
    Feb 10, 2016 - 3:07PM

Wat rubbish !!! Why r u criticizing soo mucb about this movie…… This was the best love story atleast better than Dilwale
    It was very heart touching and appreciatable I tottally disagree wid ur bullshits about the movie…………I loved ‘Sanam Teri Kasam’ Recommend

• Zainab baig
    Feb 10, 2016 - 3:38PM

@Sadaf:
    Wrong it’s not 1994.2005 you can’t see it is 1994.2015
    You have to go to doctorRecommend

• mehnaz
    Feb 11, 2016 - 12:50AM

its the best romantic movie even in Bollywood film industry, please dont spread out this shitty criticism of this movie. People raise the publicity of many films even those which dont have any story and find out problems on this type of well-up movies.
    at my opinion its really a heart touching movie Recommend

• Feb 11, 2016 - 3:42PM

Its the best romantic movie and at my opinion its really heart touching movieRecommend

• Feb 11, 2016 - 4:47PM

The movie was as not bad as you ppl are saying ,, it is a very nice movie really liked it. i really enjoyed it Recommend

• Aisha
    Feb 13, 2016 - 4:06PM

@nasir:
    Include those uniformed who look after the skies and the ground!Recommend

• Zainul Jaffery
    Feb 16, 2016 - 5:54AM

Movi is Good Nd Marwa’s Acting to to good no one actress done death scen like this fabluse…. Nd love story is very difficult hai best of best love story i give 10 out of 10 to love story nd actor is done job very good. Recommend

• Sadaf
    Feb 17, 2016 - 12:55PM

@Zainab baig:
    They edited it later. My eyes are fine, thank you for the concern :)Recommend

• batman!
    Feb 17, 2016 - 12:58PM

@ironMan!:
    When the article was posted it said 1994 – 2005. Writers/editors should mention below if any changes are made after original postRecommend

• g
    Feb 21, 2016 - 7:28AM

this has to be the only film I enjoyed after a long time ! the characters were lovable the plot is interesting (for once) and the chemistry is mind blowing. The process of falling in love felt very natural compared to other films where it seems too rushed.
    The songs were catchy and plot twists were unexpected. Brilliant film!! much better than other films that fail to capture the viewer’s interest Recommend

• Rani....
    Feb 27, 2016 - 10:19AM

The movie was fantastic i think……it was vry nice …i actually loved it…it made me cry a lot ….what a superb acting of all the characters especially mawra….vry nice….we all should appriciate their acting…if any one would ask me to how much liked it is 101%out of 100%Recommend

• Ali
    Mar 3, 2016 - 3:17AM

Lol it seems you are jealous of her work. Yes, 7th reason, she is rocking India with her gorgeous looks and amazing acting. Movie is for people with love and passion, I guess the writer is free of any such feelings. Very sad. Recommend

• pournima
    Mar 9, 2016 - 10:16PM

One of the best movie!
    I’ts too heart touching.Recommend

• misthi
    Mar 9, 2016 - 10:29PM

Sanam Teri kasam is really very very nice romantic and heart touching movie. Stop to criticize it. Mawra acting is really appreciable in this movie. At the end of movie I could not control my tears. I love it. I would like to give it 10 out of 10. Amazing acting of every character . Recommend

• MJehangir
    Mar 23, 2016 - 1:16AM

@Sadaf:
    It was 2015 and not 2005. open your eyes and mind plzRecommend

• Mar 24, 2016 - 1:05AM

OHHHHHHHHH No word 4 this amaizing movieRecommend

• helin
    Mar 24, 2016 - 12:48PM

Please don’t criticize this… there’s so much work in it and i cried a lot. One of the best romantic bollywood films ever! It touched me deep in my heart.Recommend

• Radha
    Mar 24, 2016 - 1:47PM

Sanam Teri kasam was actually a fantastic movie & all of the positive fan reviews would agree with this statement. Don’t make an article that only the minority agree with. The majority loved this movie, it was EXTREMELY heart touching & beautiful. Can’t get over how amazing it was & both of the actors did a splendid job. Acting was marvelous & the movie ontop of it. Recommend

• SHABINA
    Mar 26, 2016 - 10:06AM

“Sanam tere kasam” was a great movie I really really liked it hats off to the actors n directors of the movie …Recommend

• Shereen
    Mar 27, 2016 - 3:20AM

Beautiful movie, great acting, lovely music…thoroughly enjoyedRecommend

• Rehan
    Mar 31, 2016 - 11:25PM

Very very nice movie. I like that Recommend

• Vishal
    Apr 2, 2016 - 12:55PM

Brilliant actress.. I liked this film very much so did my friends.. way to go Saru (y)Recommend

• Ranjeet kumar
    Apr 5, 2016 - 12:04PM

This is heart touching movie I watched it 12 times and want to watch moreRecommend

• Sons
    Apr 7, 2016 - 5:55PM

Ya I too agree..it’s a beautiful romatic love story…wow…I jst loved itRecommend

• arvind
    Apr 13, 2016 - 12:44AM

Hey friends from Pakistan,
    Mawra was great and movie was awesome
    At least learn to appreciate talent from your own country
    We in India loved her and harsh
    Even my moma
    Come on guys
    Great movieRecommend

• Mizing
    Apr 14, 2016 - 2:44PM

Loved it ,See it a 100 timesRecommend

• Mizing
    Apr 14, 2016 - 2:49PM

Seen it,loved it, see it 100 times more.deeply rooted in me.Recommend

• Vishal
    Apr 14, 2016 - 5:50PM

To gud movieRecommend

• Shraboni
    Apr 17, 2016 - 2:29AM

This is a very very very very and very nice movie…nothing to say…just love it…and my best choosen movie in my life…i never forget this fantastic,hearttouching,romantic movie…a lot of thnx to the actor,actress,writer,singer and all the producing media of the film…Recommend

• Shraboni
    Apr 17, 2016 - 2:32AM

This is a vry nice movie…just love it feel the real loveRecommend

• uzma
    Apr 17, 2016 - 12:56PM

its an awsome heart touching movie.i love to see it every timeRecommend

• misshopes
    Apr 24, 2016 - 6:49PM

are you kidding me??? this is the best movie ever
    loooooooved it
    it was just awesome and mindblowing Recommend

• shital
    Apr 29, 2016 - 5:02PM

its just superb and lovely movie… don’t criticize the efforts made by two amazing talented actors. I am looking forward to see more movies from both… love harshvardhan and marwaRecommend

• Apr 30, 2016 - 11:49AM

Very very nice movie loved it…Recommend

• junied
    May 3, 2016 - 11:31AM

Faadu movie i didnt find any bore dailogue aur scenes in moviee… 10 out of ten best love story i ever seen…Recommend

• usra latief
    May 3, 2016 - 9:25PM

It is really fantastic movie I have ever seen…Actor Harshvardhan Rane did a fantastic job in dis movie n impressd oll of us especially love story is heart touchingRecommend

• Gourav dhaniya
    May 9, 2016 - 4:23PM

the best movie yr sanam tari kashamRecommend

• anurag dubey
    May 11, 2016 - 8:53PM

Its a. Amazing film
    :Recommend

• May 22, 2016 - 4:13PM

Its a nice movie and i really love it. MAWRA I LOVE Uuuu….. And i m a big fan of yours……..Recommend

• May 23, 2016 - 2:02PM

Its a nice movie and i really like it. MAWRA I love Uuu….., U R the No.1…..Recommend

• May 23, 2016 - 2:07PM

Its a nice movie and i really like it. I Love u MAWRA and U R No. 1….. Recommend

• Aishwarya
    Jun 2, 2016 - 2:51AM

I would like to say only one thing nd that is don’t criticize …because it’s much heart touching in all movie’s which I saw..I love this movie to the square of infinite ….Recommend

• anu
    Jun 4, 2016 - 12:45PM

R u kiddding me u r just pointing out bullshits point and talking abt the movie i loved it very very very much specially harsh and their chemisteryRecommend

• Jun 5, 2016 - 2:00AM

and here i am looking more movies like this this movie was the best btw the first scene 1994-2015 i thought she was his sister who died never thought its his wife Recommend

• Hiba khan
    Jun 20, 2016 - 11:55PM

Sanam Teri Kasam Movie is an amazing movie… The story, the acting, the direction, music, each and every thing in it is worth admiring… I can’t get tired of watching it again and again…. it’s magical. So please stop criticizing, it’s best romantic movie of the year.Recommend

• sajid
    Jun 21, 2016 - 4:46PM

sanam teri qasam is a perfect movie, the story absolutely feels true, all actors perform magnificent job, mawra, harshwardhan, mawra’s father,mother, sister, mustakeem bhai, abimanue and all other actors done excellent job. unbelieveable music, poetry & singers……..I have seen many love story movies, like, veer zara , dil wale, dilwale dulhania le jayen gy, darr, aashiqui 2. but this movie i mean sanam teri qasam has a sincere team made movie, very hard worked, and story is waaaaaaaaaaaao, i have no words. Love this movie 100 % this movie deserve all awards…….. sajidRecommend

• Naeema ...
    Jun 23, 2016 - 10:37PM

Amazing movie!!! Relevant story Hearth touching Marwa showed the feeling tooo an adorable girl really looking forward t see her coming up next as well as the guy very well set its not always bwt the looks u gotto fit urself in for the role we all look gorgeous outside the character dnt just just judge the looks or nationality of the performer rather consider the story put urself in it and focus when watching

I peraonally teared throughout the movie and its personally related to my reality i guess!!!

I wated out of anxiety to watch it

Well done!Recommend

• asen
    Jun 27, 2016 - 1:43PM

Best romantic movie..cute couple.. Love it..Recommend

• Shweta
    Jul 6, 2016 - 3:39PM

Its much heart touching…. Movie…
    1st time I saw this kind movie …iloved it..
    Even Made me cry..
    Don’t knw y….
    Vry close to my heart…Recommend

More in Film