NICL scam: Moonis Elahi defies investigators

Supreme Court may be asked to allow FIA to summon former CM’s son.


Express January 11, 2011

ISLAMABAD: Moonis Elahi has openly defied efforts of the FIA to investigate him in his alleged role in the multi-billion-rupee National Insurance Corporation (NIC) scam. Much to the surprise of investigators, the son of former Punjab chief minister Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi bluntly refused to receive a set of 16 questions sent to him last week in light of his firm’s manager’s statement against him.

The report about Elahi’s surprising defiance is now being tabled before the Supreme Court (SC) of Pakistan today (Tuesday), when the court resumes its hearing of the NICL scam.

Sources said that the SC’s help might be sought to empower FIA officials to summon Moonis Elahi under section 160 so that he could be investigated by an FIA team.

Moonis was being investigated by FIA after his company manager gave a written statement that he had opened a fake bank account in which Rs230million were transferred by Mohsin Warraich as a “share” for Pervaiz Elahi’s son.

Sources said that the FIA had sent 16 questions to Moonis, but when FIA officials went to drop the questionnaire at his office in Lahore, his secretary refused to accept them.

Sources said that FIA was also expected to submit a report about the alleged role of Adil Gilani of Transparency International Pakistan in the scam. Gilani was said to have hired a lawyer to defend his case in the SC, where strong documentary evidence against him and his past acts when in government service were expected to be presented before the Chief Justice of Pakistan.

The most interesting part of Gilani’s statement, to be presented before the CJP, is that he has said he never declared any institution or department “corrupt”. Thus, Gilani has given a clean chit to the present government in his statement to the FIA.

The court would also be informed that Rs1.68billion had been fully recovered from Mohsin Warraich after the dirty land deal was cancelled and the accused party agreed to return the full money to NICL.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 11th, 2011.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ