Shock, anger after deadly Taliban attack on Kabul French eatery

Friday's powerful bombing of Le Jardin left the residential neighbourhood strewn with debris and wrecked cars


Afp January 02, 2016
An Afghan security official inspects the wreckage of an entrance gate, the day after a suicide car bomb attack at a French restaurant- Le Jardin in Kabul on January 2, 2016. PHOTO: AFP

KABUL: Emotions ran high Saturday in a Kabul neighbourhood where a Taliban suicide bomber struck a French restaurant popular with expats, killing two people including a 12-year-old boy hit by flying shrapnel.

Friday's powerful bombing of Le Jardin, the second Taliban attack in Kabul in a week, reduced a building to smouldering rubble and left the residential neighbourhood strewn with debris and wrecked cars.

Shopkeeper Ahmed Massoud's cousin, a guard at the Afghan-owned restaurant, was killed as the bomber detonated his suicide vest when he stopped to frisk him.

The intensity of the blast blew out windows and left a 12-year-old Afghan boy dead on the doorstep of an adjacent grocery shop.

Taliban suicide attack targets French restaurant in Kabul

"I saw a huge flame and was knocked unconscious for a few minutes," said Massoud, 21, pointing at a pool of dried blood on the floor.

"Everyone in this neighbourhood knew this restaurant was a high-value target. And we paid a huge price for it."

His comment typifies what many in Afghanistan feel, seemingly trapped in a hopeless quagmire after 14 years of war, with civilians increasingly caught between the government and a resurgent Taliban.

Afghan residents look on as they sit in front of their damaged houses near the site of a suicide car bomb attack at a French restaurant- Le Jardin in Kabul on January 2, 2016. PHOTO: AFP

The Taliban, who vowed to safeguard lives of ordinary Afghans before launching their annual summer offensive last year, typically attack places with a high density of civilians.

The Taliban were unable to breach Le Jardin -- a popular hangout for foreigners and wealthy Afghans -- but the bombing at the entrance left the working-class neighbourhood of Qala-e-Fathullah reeling in shock.

"High-ranking officials came to the restaurant in their big cars with body guards in tow," fumed 40-year-old taxi driver Mohammed Haidar.

"The blast devastated my taxi, left my house badly damaged and my wife and daughter are injured. Now where should I go? If Le Jardin's owner was here I would grab him by his collar and demand an answer."

The owner of Le Jardin, which sports a large garden festooned with rose bushes, is said to be Hamid Akram, the powerful governor of Kabul, who was not available for comment.

Countries to negotiate for Afghan peace process in mid-January

The bombing evokes painful memories of an attack in January 2014 on a Lebanese restaurant in Kabul that left 21 people dead.

The raid on Taverna du Liban saw gunmen mowing down diners and staff, including 13 foreigners enjoying an evening out at a low-key social venue.

The latest bombing comes despite a renewed international push to revive peace talks with the Taliban.

President Ashraf Ghani on Thursday announced a first round of dialogue between Afghanistan, Pakistan, US and China on January 11 to lay out a comprehensive roadmap for peace.

Pakistan hosted a milestone first round of talks in July but the negotiations stalled when the insurgents belatedly confirmed the death of longtime leader Mullah Omar.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read