New Year attack: Taliban suicide attack targets French restaurant in Kabul

The attack comes a day after Afghanistan announced four-way talks in Pakistan


Afp January 01, 2016
Flames and smoke rise at the site of the suicide attack. PHOTO: AFP

KABUL: A Taliban suicide car bomber hit a French restaurant popular with foreigners in Kabul Friday, in a New Year's day attack that marks the latest in a series of brazen insurgent assaults.

At least four people were wounded in the attack on Le Jardin, an Afghan-owned eatery, which caused a piercingly loud explosion and left a building engulfed in flames.

The attack comes a day after Afghanistan announced four-way talks in Pakistan on January 11, aimed at jump-starting peace negotiations with the resurgent Taliban.

"We can confirm a suicide car bomb attack on Le Jardin," Fraidoon Obaidi, the head of Kabul's Criminal Investigation Department, told AFP.

"We are busy extinguishing the fire at the scene," he added. The information was corroborated by a Western official in Kabul.

Security forces cordoned off the area and firefighters and ambulances were seen rushing to the restaurant, which sports a large garden festooned with rose bushes and is a popular hangout for foreigners.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid on Twitter claimed several foreigners had been killed and wounded in the suicide attack.

The Afghan health ministry said four people were wounded and taken to hospital for treatment, without confirming their nationality. It rejected local media reports claiming that a 10-year-old child had been killed.

The attack comes just days after Pakistan's powerful army chief General Raheel Sharif visited Kabul to try to prepare the ground for fresh peace talks with the resurgent Taliban.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 2nd, 2016.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read