For the patty:
• Marinate the chicken mince with scallions, soy sauce, salt and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl for at least 10 minutes.
• Make round, palm-sized patties — about half an inch in thickness — and fry them over low to medium heat until they become golden or mince becomes tender.
• Remove the patties from the pan and place them on thick paper towels so that the excess oil is absorbed.
For the teriyaki sauce:
• Whisk all the ingredients (except cornflour paste) together in a clean frying pan and bring the mix to a boil over a medium heat.
• Reduce the heat and let it simmer for another two to four minutes.
• Stir in the cornflour paste to slightly thicken the sauce.
• Add the fried chicken patties and cook for two minutes. Flip the patties over with a spatula half-way through and cook for another two minutes.
To assemble the burgers:
• Spread mayonnaise on a toasted bun and layer it with lettuce leaves, the teriyaki chicken patty and tomatoes.
• Drizzle some mustard paste on top and add cheese if you like.
• Serve warm.
Yield: Serves 2-3 persons
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Roasted potato wedges with herbs
Crispy and aromatic, these chubby potato slices are a great alternative to deep fried French-fries. The combination of fragrant herbs used in the recipe spice up the wedges and taste great with burgers of any kind.
• Potatoes (peeled and cut in thick wedges) 3
• Garlic crushed 1 tsp
• Black pepper 1 tsp
• Dried rosemary 2 tsp
• Dried thyme 1 tsp
• Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
• Olive oil 1 tbsp
• Salt to taste
• Preheat oven to 1800C for 10 minutes.
• In a large bowl, toss together the potato wedges, herbs, garlic, vegetable and olive oils, black pepper and salt. Make sure the wedges are coated evenly on all sides.
• Spread the wedges on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil to avoid any mess. Make sure you do not overcrowd them as this can cause discoloration.
• Bake for 12-15 minutes, turning them over and baking the other side for another 10 minutes (or until tender and golden).
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, January 3rd, 2016.