
Lawyer Walter Ruiz said Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and other high-ranking US officials made "toxic comments over time" about the presumed guilt of Pakistan-born Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who took credit for organising the hijacked plane attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people.
Pakistani detainees in Guantanamo: IHC hauls up interior ministry official
"The appearance of unlawful influence is squarely upon these commissions," said Ruiz, who represents co-defendant Mustafa al-Hawsawi, a Saudi man accused of helping to orchestrate the attacks by militants.
During a 2007 hearing at Guantanamo Bay, the US military prison in Cuba, Mohammed said he organised the attacks "from A to Z."
Friday's hearing was monitored by closed circuit television from a media center at Fort Meade, outside Washington.
Last British resident in Guantanamo Bay released: ministry
Ruiz played previously televised clips of government officials’ remarks for Judge Army Colonel James Pohl. In one interview, Obama said he expected Mohammed to be convicted and sentenced to death.
"There is no way to eliminate the taint," said Marine Major Derek Poteet, a lawyer for Mohammed.
Defense attorneys said a remedy would be to dismiss the charges or try co-defendants in the death penalty case separately from Mohammed.
Prosecutor Robert Swann disagreed with defense arguments. "Now there’s no dispute about what the president or others have said,” but it does not constitute unlawful influence, he said.
Republicans fiercely oppose Obama plan to shut Guantanamo
Swann said that government leaders made roughly 75 statements about the presumed guilt of the men over the last decade.
Pohl has not yet ruled on whether to keep in place a temporary order he issued in January that bars female guards from touching prisoners.
Pohl heard testimony this week on the order. It followed complaints from Muslim detainees that physical contact with women outside their immediate families violated their religious beliefs.
Republican US lawmakers have accused Obama of arranging the exchange of five Guantanamo prisoners for accused Army deserter Bowe Bergdahl as part of his plan to close the prison.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ