Midnight auctions: Women being kidnapped and sold off to the highest bidder

Published: January 5, 2011

Police have recovered five women after raids in Multan district.

MULTAN: In the past ten days Rajanpur Police have recovered five women during different raids in Rajanpur. Police officials recently recovered a kidnapped 32-year-old woman with her one-and-a-half-year-old child from Rajanpur. Police officials said that they conducted a raid on a house in the district after receiving an anonymous phone call.

The woman, Shazia*, was handcuffed and had been tortured. Speaking to The Express Tribune, the mother of two children said that about a year ago she had gone to General Hospital in Lahore with her husband for his treatment. “A lady named Shareefan met me and said that a Pir Baba named Amil could help cure any disease,” Shazia said. Shazia told reporters that the Pir lived in Sadiqabad and she went with the nurse to visit him. “I wanted an amulet that could cure my husband’s abdominal pain,” she said.

Shazia said that the nurse had actually taken her to the Pir to sell her. “My younger son was with me, he was only five-months-old at the time,” she said. Shazia told the police that the Amil gave her something to eat and she fainted. “When I woke up, I found myself tied with seventeen other women in a forest. They told me that I had been sold for Rs50,000 and that we were being transported,” Shazia said.

Shazia told the police that she was later separated from the group and sold to a family for Rs160,000 in Kashmore. “The family kept me locked up in a room for several days but then they sold me again to someone in Rajanpur,” she said, adding that the family told her she was being sold for marriage.

“A man named Shah Gul bought me for Rs2.5m and married me to his son Mukhtar,” she said, adding “I kept telling them that I was already married and that I had children but they wouldn’t listen.”  “They treated me worse than an animal, they tied me up, whipped me and raped me,” she said.

Shazia said that she had tried to escape several times but was caught and then her captors finally broke her legs. “They made sure I couldn’t walk anymore,” she said.

Shazia said that during the floods she managed to escape because her captor’s house was flooded and she was moved outside.

“I hid with a family in Rajanpur and there were so many displaced people that I thought they wouldn’t be able to find me again. I was wrong,” she said.

Shazia said that she heard reports that her captor Mukhtar had threatened the owner of the house with murder if they did not hand her over. “Mukhtar then took me back to the forest and handcuffed me. He said that we would slice my son to pieces if I tried to escape again,” she said.

Shazia said that many women had been kidnapped and sold several times over in this manner. “There is an open auction for women in shelters near the forest at night. Dozens of abducted women are sold off,” she said.

Multan Station House Officer (SHO) Bakht Ali said that he had arrested Shah Gul and was interrogating him about the whereabouts of the other women as well as the location of Mukhtar.  Shah Gul said “I do not know about all the others but this girl is my property. I paid for her in Rajanpur and she belongs to me,” he said, adding “If the police take her away they should compensate my loss.”

In the past ten days Rajanpur Police have recovered five women during different raids. The women had all been sold from different parts of the country in midnight auctions. Police had handed over Shazia and her son to a Dar-ul-Amaan.

*The victims name has been changed to protect her identity.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 5th, 2011.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• Adeel Ahmed
    Jan 5, 2011 - 11:18AM

Who are these sick people and why cant we punish them in order to stop this evil…

This is ridiculous… How and why the hell do you want to BUY a woman?Recommend

• S Asghar
    Jan 5, 2011 - 11:27AM

The heart actually cries to read such kind of shameful acts, continuously happening under the nose of our society.

When will we wake up, acknowledge, and take stance against Rape, Child Abuse, and so on :-/Recommend

• Sohaib
    Jan 5, 2011 - 12:46PM

Those that are convicted or confess should be put to death, which, in Islam, is the penalty for rape at least. These should be public executions for all future generations to remember. Believe me this will accelerate eradication of such practices.

I fear though, that as is the norm of people in authority at all levels, they are probably involved. Allah help us all when their friends and relatives take the matter into their own hands. That would be a carnage and innocents may also suffer. Recommend

• Sohaib
    Jan 5, 2011 - 12:47PM

I mean victims’ families and relatives.Recommend

• Amer
    Jan 5, 2011 - 1:07PM

This is just unbelieveable. Everyone has become an animal in this country! Recommend

• Farah Kaleem
    Jan 5, 2011 - 2:31PM

I say only one way to stop these animals and more from becoming like them… just castrate all of them without any mercy!! Recommend

• sharjeel+khan
    Jan 5, 2011 - 5:29PM

in a capatilist market everything can be purchased for the right “price”,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Recommend

• babar
    Jan 5, 2011 - 8:54PM

“in a capatilist market everything can be purchased for the right “price”,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    sharjeel+khan”

A capitalistic market for information also allows this information to be shared. The selling for people for pleasure or trade has happened for a long time. Sharing of information like this is a welcome changeRecommend

• Waqar
    Jan 6, 2011 - 12:40AM

What the hell… Are we living in a socity of humen..?

Are We muslims or know the meaning of muslims ???

Relly eye opening news. Govt should seriously take action on it. Recommend

• Asim
    Jan 6, 2011 - 12:57AM

@ Sharjeel — Babar — Amer

And for the market to function under capitalism, the buyer and seller has to agree on the sale. In this matter this is truly barbaric act.

Yes. Everyone in this country is becoming a monster. Like in a zombie movie, killed men come to kill more men. This is what our society is becoming – a zombie system.Recommend

• Sumair
    Jan 6, 2011 - 10:16AM

truely pathetic!!Recommend

• Abhishek
    Jan 6, 2011 - 3:48PM

A zionist mossad raw propaganda to give bad name to the country of Islamic Republic of PakistanRecommend

• Fus
    Jan 6, 2011 - 11:47PM

Mashallah, this is our Islamic county. You won’t see any Mullah or islamic organisation on the roads to raise voice against this. It is so sad.Recommend

• Ahmad
    Jan 7, 2011 - 10:02AM

I think we should punish all those people who are into this business in such a brutal way and torture them to death. These people don’t deserve any humanly behaviour. Recommend

• Iftikhar-ur-Rehman
    Jan 7, 2011 - 4:15PM

Police, Local Administration , they are all involved in all the crimes that happen in any area because they get their share out the earnings.It is simply not possible that the SHO of an area is unaware of happenings in his area.Recommend

• Shakeel
    Feb 2, 2011 - 10:44AM

Where are, “sana khawan e taqdees e mashriq”?
    “their mothers begot them as free people, how (dare) you enslave them?”
    Abu Bakar Siddique (RAU).

“Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains”
    A Western philosopher.Recommend