Did you know?: Film-maker Mumtaz Hussain awarded for 'The Kind Executioner'

Published: November 16, 2013

New York-based film-maker and painter Mumtaz Hussain recently received an award for his script, The Kind Executioner at the Hollywood Screenplay Contest. The event was held on November 2 in Los Angeles.

The script looks into the relationship between former Prime Minister Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto and his executioner Tara Masih. When asked why he focused on such a subject, he told The Express Tribune, “My political awareness was growing during that time. Some of the most important days of my life were spent in Pakistan at a time when religious fanaticism was spreading across the country, crushing the liberal element. On the international front, the Cold War was in full force between the United States and Russia, making Afghanistan and Pakistan its battleground. The circumstances around me were absorbed in my mind while growing-up.”

“Because I witnessed a major change in that affects the Western world to this day, I want to share my experiences through this screenplay. The screenplay is based on the true story of former Pakistani Prime Minister ZA Bhutto, who was executed by the military dictator Zia ul Haq. The story sheds light on the relationship between the Prime Minister and his hangman, a man who believed Bhutto to be the saviour of the nation,” he added.

According to Hussain, the screenplay was also submitted to the Berlin Film Festival, the results of which have not been announced so far. He also mentions discussing the script with Hollywood actors and execs, but nothing is finalised so far. If turned into a movie, it will definitely be one to watch out for!

Published in The Express Tribune, November 17th, 2013.

Like Life & Style on Facebook, follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

• Troubled
    Nov 16, 2013 - 9:35PM

Award picture looked fake, so I googled it. No mention of him winning an award, only being nominated. Has this man made a fool of Pakistan?

Look at the pictures, even the podium is different. Maybe ET should do some research instead of printing stories it is fed.

• Troubled
    Nov 16, 2013 - 9:46PM

PS. Not trying to pee on anyones parade, I”m proud that Pakiatanis are doing more than being doctors and bankers.

• Iftikhar
    Nov 16, 2013 - 9:52PM

I agree. If this is for real why it’s only covered by ET in the whole wide world. Seriously ET the standard of journalism has gone down to new lows here.

• Iftikhar
    Nov 16, 2013 - 10:06PM

Ok guys I have checked again. Seriously ET you have been duped and can get into serious trouble. There was no such ceremony or award. It’s just a content which is own by someone else anyways. This guy was nominated yes but that’s about it. Ufffffff you guys are journalist? Basics basics please….Recommend

• Ugly
    Nov 17, 2013 - 8:07AM

I thought it was forbidden to look this handsome. This guy is really amazingly truly handsome!!!

• Iqbal Beg
    Nov 17, 2013 - 11:12AM

Here if you have any doubt. He was in the ‘official submission’ but did not win anything. http://hollywoodscreenplaycontest.com/contest/past-winners/2013-official-finalists#
    Shouldn’t there be an apology to the readers ET?Recommend

• Nov 18, 2013 - 7:58PM

Mr. Iftakhar and other fellow
    I am not fake and this award is real its a finalist award and its honor for me

Mumtaz

• mumtaz
    Nov 19, 2013 - 11:34AM

@Troubled:
    @Iftikhar:
    @Mumtaz Hussain:
    @Iqbal Beg:
    check every photo who received awards

More in Life & Style