ISLAMABAD: President Asif Ali Zardari announced on Monday a list of 192 recipients for the country’s top civilian awards, including Pakistanis and foreign nationals.
The investiture ceremony will take place on Pakistan Day on March 23, 2013.
Among those to be decorated with civilian awards include foreigners hailing from China, United Kingdom, France, Spain and Malaysia.
Some of the prominent Pakistani recipients include cricket umpire Aleem Dar, prominent Pakistan Television newscaster Shaista Zaid and Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader, late Fauzia Wahab.
According to details, the president has conferred seven Nishan-i-Imtiaz, one Hilal-i-Pakistan, 17 Hilal-i-Imtiaz, one Sitara-i-Pakistan, three Sitara-i-Shujaat, 45 Sitara-i-Imtiaz, 24 President’s Award for Pride of Performance, one Tamgha-i-Pakistan, 15 Tamgha-i-Shujaat, 76 Tamgha-i-Imtiaz and two Tamgha-i-Quaid-i-Azam.
The Hilal-i-Pakistan has been conferred upon foreign nationals, including Yang Jiechi (China), Sitara-i-Pakistan to Dr Rowan Douglas Williams Archbishop of Canterbury (British) and Tamgha-i-Pakistan to Li Xiaolin (China).
Some of the prominent recipients in their respective categories are:
The following have been awarded for public service:
– Social activist Abdul Sattar Edhi
– Governor Sindh Dr Ishrat-ul-Ebad Khan
– Leiutenent General (retd) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai, Director Genral Strategic Plans Division
Mehdi Hassan and Saadat Hassan Manto have been awarded posthumous awards in the fields of Art (Music) and Literature respectively, while Dr Muhammad Irfan Burney, Chairman, NESCOM and Dr Munir Ahmed Khan (posthumous) have been awarded in the field of science.
– The late Fauzia Wahab, former PPP leader/Member of National Assembly
– Social activist Ansar Burney
– Actor/compere Zia Mohyeddin
– Singer Abida Parveen
– Writer Anwar Maqsood
– Writer Fatima Suriya Bajia
– Cricketers, the late Hafeez Kardar and Fazal Mehmood
– Hamid Mir, journalist
– Azhar Abbas, journalist
– Actor Khalid Abbas Dar
-Aleem Sarwar Dar, ICC award winning cricket umpire
– Shaista Zaid, former Pakistan Television newscaster
– Syed Ghulam Mohiyuddin Noor, film producer
– Syed Noor, filmmaker
– Senator Haji Ghulam Ali, former FPCCI president,
– Dr Attiya Inayatullah, Member of National Assembly
– Taj Haider, Pakistan Peoples Party senior leader
– Ghazal maestro Ustad Ghulam Ali
– Jugnoo Mohsin , journalist
– Qazi Aslam, journalist
– Hashim Khan, former squash player
In the field of literature and journalism, the recipients include Sikandar H. Lodhi, Shaukat Pervaiz, Mohammad Aslam Khan, Syed Mir Mehdi Shah Mehdi and Dr Irfan Ahmad Baig.
Sister Mary Lagan and Catherine Nicol were being awarded for their services in the field of education.
Read the complete list of the award recipients here.