Australia series: ‘Advice sought from team management on venue’

Published: June 11, 2012

The PCB was forced to look for an alternative after Cricket Sri Lanka refused to host the series due to a clash with the proposed Sri Lanka Premier League.

KARACHI: Until Sunday, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials were measuring the pros and cons of the decision to choose either Malaysia or the UAE as venue for their home series against Australia that is scheduled to start in August.

With the series fast-approaching, PCB Director International Intikhab Alam last week visited both countries to assess facilities and discuss holding the forthcoming series with the authorities.

However, the senior official returned with a similar feedback from both venues, making the decision difficult for the board.

The PCB was forced to look for an alternative after Cricket Sri Lanka refused to host the series due to a clash with the proposed Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL) despite making a commitment earlier. Both Australia and Pakistan are scheduled to play five One-Day Internationals and three Ywenty20s in August.

Malaysia and UAE stand equally

“There are similar sort of positives and negatives in both choices [Malaysia and UAE],” a PCB official close to the matter told The Express Tribune. “We know about the situation in the UAE but the facilities in Malaysia have also impressed Alam. The country is hosting major tournaments and it is still under PCB’s consideration.

“The weather is also an issue in both countries. If there are humidity problems in UAE then rain is an issue in Malaysia. But we have been told there is less rain there in late August and September.

“We are still weighing the options by taking broadcasters and sponsors into account. But till now we are indecisive.”

The official added that advice from team management will also help in finalising the decision.

“We initially arranged the series in Sri Lanka as it would have been ideal preparation ahead of the World Twenty20.

“Now the team management’s advice will be important.”

While PCB Chairman Zaka Ashraf announced that the decision will be taken today, the official said the board may take few more days to finalise the choice of venue.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 11th, 2012.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

More in Sports