Mobilink leads market, as mobile penetration touches 66.5%

Published: March 14, 2012

Mobilink holds top position, followed by Telenor. Zong remains in last position.

Mobile penetration in Pakistan touched 66.5 per cent by January 2012, with 114.61 million subscribers revealed latest figures released by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA).

The report puts Mobilink as the market leader with 34.70 million subscribers. Telenor, with 28.47 million is now in second position, followed by Ufone (22.02 million subscribers), Warid (14.99 million subscribers) and Zong in last position with 14.42 million subscribers.

Ufone had the most subscription gains in the month, followed by Zong and Mobilink, ProPakistani reported.

According to forecasts from Wireless Intelligence, the total number of mobile connections across the world has crossed six billion by the end of 2011, which means the industry added one billion connections in 16 months.

Asia-Pacific is said to be the home to six of the ten largest mobile markets in the world. These include:

• China (#1)
  • India (#2)
  • Indonesia (#4)
  • Vietnam (#7)
  • Japan (#8)
  • Pakistan (#9)

• Zeta
    Mar 14, 2012 - 8:50PM

Almost every young person in Pakistan have one or more mobile sets and average of 4/5 SIMs.

• Mohammad Ali Siddiqui
    Mar 14, 2012 - 9:06PM

Mobilink can double its market share in 90 days, provided it offers the same outgoing calls rates and SMS bucket package similar to Ufone.

• Usman Lakhani
    Mar 14, 2012 - 10:21PM

you need to look at the spelling of Pro-Pakistani in the picture

• Faisal
    Mar 15, 2012 - 12:39AM

I love Ufone, never had any network complaint at all. The Add team is awesome esp. Faisal, Jawad and Adeel. Keep up the good work Ufone . Size doesn’t matter here!! but the quality.

• Ufone?
    Mar 15, 2012 - 1:28AM

I’ve had a terrible experience with ufone and I believe it’s my right to share my experience with everybody:
    1. 3 months ago I spent 700 rupees on ufone’s yearly SMS bucket. But to my amazement the package was never activated and I lost all my balance while I was sending messages to my friend without realising that I don’t own a package.
    2 i called the helpline. The operator used a different name and i was told that the SIM is not registered under my NiC. This was quite surprising because i got a golden number a year ago and I had personally filled the form with my NIC.
    2. I went back to the same customer service office for a complaint, the guy just had clueless face. I just filled out the correction form and it’s been over a month but my sim is still registered under somebody else’s NIC.
    3. A week ago I called the ufone helpline service, and guess what : even after 5 minutes of waiting no operator answered my call. My credit expired.

So technically I lost around a thousand rupees and hours of time with “U” fone to no avail. Call this a personal vendetta but I think ufone deserves a bashing from their customers.

Just a lesson for all networks in Pakistan : business is not about tv commercials. Your best publicity is done by the clients you already have.

I am sure ufone guys can find me from their call log from last week.

• Mar 15, 2012 - 1:55AM

A proud customer of Mobilink

• exUfonian
    Mar 15, 2012 - 2:20AM

Ufone is sick enough to be thrown out by anyone

• Adeel
    Mar 15, 2012 - 2:40AM

The service of Mobilink coupled with the packages of Ufone would make one awesome mobile phone company!

• Ahmer Ali
    Mar 15, 2012 - 11:55AM

66.5% market coverage but poor voice and connectivity service and call dropping is old and favorite hobby as usual.

• Hammad
    Mar 15, 2012 - 2:43PM

the best services by far which i was experienced is TELENOR, and as far as Ufone is concered simply hats off to ppl atleast to there tolerance n innocence level.

• Ufone User
    Mar 15, 2012 - 4:45PM

Whether it’s Jazz Telenor Warid or Zong but when Ufone prepaid comes all the rest are gone !!! Love U Ufone and will always do !!

• Arman yousaf
    Mar 23, 2012 - 7:00PM

I hv a contrary opinion about Mobi owing to its congestion & voice chopping which is very frequent now. Since, I m a corporate customer, so bound to use this.

dear Mobilink, Pl upgrade your service vis-a-vis to your market share.

More in Business