Missing persons: Four missing Baloch men return home

Published: February 25, 2012

Three of the returning men had been abducted in January 2011, one in September 2011.

QUETTA: In a rare move, as many as four Baloch, who had been missing for up to 13 months, surfaced in different parts of Balochistan over the past three days, family sources confirmed.

Nasurllah Baloch, who heads an organisation which has been striving for the safe recovery of missing persons, said merely four missing persons were released during the past three days. “We had information that nine Baloch persons were released but we have been able to confirm the release of only four persons.”

Nasurllah, Chairman of Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VFBMP), said he is in contact with the relatives of all missing persons.

Those who returned include Mohammad son of Gul Jan Baloch, Mohammad Hanif a resident of Mand in Kech district, Majid Baloch resident of Buielda Kech district and Bohair Ali Baba Johair resident of the coastal town of Pasni.

Of the men, Bohair had gone missing in September 2011, while the other three had been abducted during January 2011.

“They were abducted by government functionaries recently from their hometowns,” he alleged. While the four have returned, he said hundreds still remain missing. “Government and Judiciary should release all the missing persons. We will not be satisfied until and unless all the Baloch missing persons are released,” Nasrallah stressed

Explaining, what he believed was the reason for their abduction, VFBMP chairman accused security forces of abducting and dumping the bodies of Baloch political opponents. “We, the relatives of missing persons, demand from the government and concerned authorities to take action against security officials who are involved in extrajudicial killings.”

He said relatives of missing persons will continue their protest until their safe recovery. VFBMP also called upon International Humanitarian Organisations to take notice of enforced disappearances and recovery of mutilated and bullet-riddled bodies in Balochistan.

Observers in Balochistan have welcomed the safe recovery of Baloch missing persons and suggested that this move will improve the situation of Balochistan if other missing persons too are released in coming days.

However, relatives of missing persons were not satisfied with the release of their loved ones. They further demanded action be taken against those who were responsible for “kill-and-dump” policy in Balochistan, accusing security forces.

According to VFBMP, over 8000 Baloch have been listed as missing over the past couple of years. The organisation maintains complete details of 1,500 missing persons. “Over 300 bodies have been found dumped in different parts of Balochistan. There must be strict action against the officials involved in these brutal killings,” he said, adding that all the relatives want is justice.

Reader Comments (4)

  • Cautious
    Feb 25, 2012 - 9:58PM

    “They were abducted by government functionaries recently from their hometowns,” he alleged
    .
    So hows an APC going to address that issue? If the govt +/or military has no respect for law and order then that needs to be resolved first.

    Recommend

  • Feb 25, 2012 - 10:13PM

    Welcome Home

    Recommend

  • Asma baloch
    Feb 25, 2012 - 10:54PM

    well,it seems that the army is on board regardng the Government efforts,but as long as they will not come out openly and take part in dialogue.nothing will change

    Recommend

  • Moh
    Feb 26, 2012 - 1:14AM

    U can not cheat us again, its enough and enough

    Recommend

More in Balochistan