Afghan Taliban deny 'rescuing' Shahbaz Taseer

Published: March 12, 2016
SHARES
Email
Shahbaz Taseer being flown home (Lahore) from Quetta in a special aircraft by int officials. PHOTO: ISPR

Shahbaz Taseer being flown home (Lahore) from Quetta in a special aircraft by int officials. PHOTO: ISPR

ISLAMABAD: Afghan Taliban rejected on Saturday reports that they had rescued Shahbaz Taseer, son of slain governor Punjab Salman Taseer, in an operation.

A section of the Pakistani media had reported that the Taliban had recovered Shahbaz, who was kidnapped from Lahore in 2011, in Zabul province, where he had been held hostage by the Uzbek insurgents.

“We are unaware of the incident. Our Mujahideen had never been involved in it. We had neither held him (Shahbaz Taseer) nor recovered him,” Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said.

Mystery continues to surround Shahbaz Taseer’s release

When asked about reports that the Taliban have issued a statement confirming the rumours, Mujahid told The Express Tribune, “This is baseless. We have not issued any statement as the issue does not relate to us and no question arises to comment on it,” he said.

The Taliban denial coincided with the issuance of an Interior Ministry report which said Shahbaz had not been rescued through any operation.

“The facts and evidence show that Shahbaz Taseer has not been recovered through any operation but the captors set him free on their own,” said the report presented to the interior minister on Saturday.

Twitter expresses gratitude after Shahbaz Taseer returns from captivity

The Interior Ministry’s statement said that it is premature to suggest if Shahbaz was released after paying ransom.

“No institution has the right to take credit of the recovery,” the ministry said.

The ministry has also suggested giving a warning to the concerned officers who had earlier informed the minister that Taseer had been rescued through an operation.

Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali had ordered a high-level committee for the investigation into the incident under Special Secretary.

Reader Comments (7)

  • Brainy Bhaijan
    Mar 12, 2016 - 7:22PM

    So they did pay the ransom then.Recommend

  • imran ali
    Mar 12, 2016 - 7:34PM

    another lie from ISPR Recommend

  • Noroz khan
    Mar 12, 2016 - 9:19PM

    Dismiss both ISPR General and IG Police Balochistan foot fabricating the story and lie.Recommend

  • Malik Saab
    Mar 12, 2016 - 9:58PM

    But why ISPR officially owned his release and calling it an operation?. It seems that from now on we will not believe in ISPR and General Bajwa tweets as well. Pakistan Army is taking all the credit and stating it a top ISI mission. But on the other hand we are hearing news of Millions of Dollars of ransom for actual release. What is the truth?. Recommend

  • Jeff
    Mar 12, 2016 - 10:21PM

    Inspite of wasting so much money on enquiry. Can they just ask the shahbaz that who captured him, where they have kept him and why they released him. 5 years they could not have kept his eyes closed that he don’t recognize the place.Recommend

  • Omair Ashfaq
    Mar 13, 2016 - 12:20AM

    Please for heaven sake, let the lad spend time with his family, by creating all these baseless and useless stories all are putting the life of the young man in danger, let him live in peace.Pray non of ur loved ones suffer the ordeal which he has gone through.Recommend

  • Iqbal
    Mar 13, 2016 - 4:10AM

    Really???
    Then what is job of government in Pakistan?!?!?

    Now terrorists are saving business men from bad guys instead of Government ? This is strange!Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Pakistan