BEIJING: China vowed on Thursday to "bring to justice" those responsible for executing one of its citizens after Islamic State said it had killed a Chinese captive, the first and so far only known Chinese hostage held by the group.
Islamic State said it had killed a Norwegian and a Chinese captive, showing what appeared to be pictures of the dead men under a banner reading "Executed" in the latest edition of its English language magazine.
IS executes Chinese and Norwegian hostages
It did not give any details in the online Dabiq magazine, published on Wednesday, about how, when or where the men were killed.
In a brief statement, China's Foreign Ministry confirmed the man's identify for the first time, naming him as Fan Jinghui, saying he had been "cruelly murdered". It said in September one of its citizens appeared to be in Islamic State captivity.
After he was kidnapped, the Chinese government activated an emergency mechanism to try and "rescue" him, but he was still killed in a "cold-blooded way", the ministry said.
VIDEO: Is the US behind the creation of ISIS?
"The Chinese government strongly condemns this savage act devoid of humanity and will certainly bring the criminals to justice," it added.
"The Chinese government will resolutely oppose all forms of terrorism, and resolutely strike at any violent terrorist criminal activities that defy the bottom lines of human culture," the statement said.
"China will continue to strengthen anti-terrorism cooperation with the international community to maintain peace and tranquility in the world."
Islamic State shows photo of improvised Russian plane bomb
Chinese President Xi Jinping, visiting Manila for a regional summit, said he "strongly condemned" the killing, state news agency Xinhua said.
The militant group had previously identified Fan as a 50-year-old freelance consultant from Beijing.
The state-run Beijing News said Fan was probably a former advertising executive who lived in a western suburb of Beijing, but that his company shut down in 2003. It is not clear why he had gone to the Middle East.
'Two militants' killed, three arrested in north Paris shootout
China has repeatedly denounced militants and urged the world to step up coordination in combating Islamic State, though it has been reluctant to get involved on the ground in Syria and Iraq where the group largely operates.
Chinese officials, however, say the country faces a severe threat from separatists in its western Xinjiang region, where violence has left hundreds dead over the past three years.
Rights groups and exiles say the violence stems more from the anger of the Muslim Uighur people who call Xinjiang home at Chinese controls on their religion and culture than any cohesive threat by any militant group.
After Paris attacks, a darker mood toward Islam emerges in France
China strongly denies any rights abuses in Xinjiang. The Chinese government says that some Uighurs have gone to fight with radical groups in the Middle East.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ