Will stand for Mahira's right to work in India: Shah Rukh Khan

Published: November 3, 2015
Hindu extremist organisation Shiv Sena has pledged not to let Pakistani actors promote their films in India.

Voicing an opinion in India has become an act of ‘notoriety’ — those who do face severe backlash from certain quarters.

But ever since Hindu extremist organisation Shiv Sena pledged not to let Pakistani actors Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan promote their films in Maharashtra, a number of Bollywood celebrities have spoken up against rising intolerance in India.

Megastar Shah Rukh Khan too has finally broken silence on the matter. In an interview with NDTV, on his 50th birthday, King Khan said creative people should not be barred from working anywhere just because they come from a different country.

Shiv Sena targets Mahira, Fawad

When asked if he would stand up for his Raees co-star Mahira Khan’s right to work in the Hindi film industry or cow down to Shiv Sena Shah Rukh said, “Well the fact that she in my film means that she should be… the word is not allowed. Whichever place starts questioning its creative people will face backlash.”

He added, “It is so silly. What do creative people have to do with this? The politics of two countries can be handled by the politicians. How does this inter-culture exchange of artists between two countries [which was one country some years ago] change anything.”

PHOTO: FILE

When questioned whether he worries about being attacked by Shiv Sena for standing up for Pakistani artists,  Shah Rukh said, “I have a weapon. I’m extremely loved by people, and if there is a stand against me, I know that enough people will love me back to stand by me.”

Shiv Sena threats: Bollywood offers support to Fawad, Mahira

King Khan said sometimes he does hold back his thoughts and doesn’t speak his mind not because he is scared but because it becomes a bit of a nuisance as his shoots might be disrupted which would affect a lot of people working with him.

He also spoke on the beef-related incidents that have been taking place in India. “Religion cannot be defined by our meat-eating habits. It is banal and silly. How is that respecting one religion and disrespecting the other?”

The Bollywood superstar added: “In my house, everyone is free to follow their religion. My kids were confused about whether they were Muslim or Hindu, I said ‘why not Christian’?

“I do pooja when I have time, on Eid we offer prayers, Gauri can join us if she wants, her family comes and they stand there, they don’t know how to pray but out of respect they stand with us,” he explains.

PHOTO: YOUTUBE/SRK

Shah Rukh Khan can come to Pakistan if he does not feel safe in India: Hafiz Saeed

Shah Rukh said religion has never been a topic of debate in his house. “I’m not saying I’m extremely secular, but we’ve never questioned religion in my house. My wife is a Punjabi, my mother was from Hyderabad, my dad was from Pakistan, and we all live quite happily in our house, so why can’t we do that in our country?”

PHOTO: TODAYTRENDING.COM

The megastar has often had to face harsh comments, particularly when he said Pakistani players should be allowed to play the IPL. Commenting on the negative reaction to his statements he said, “It’s degrading to have to say ‘listen I am Indian’. How can you question my patriotism? There’s nothing to question about it. It’s been 50 years now, how can I be unpatriotic?”

“By what standard can I be unpatriotic? I’m an Indian movie star. I was born in India, I’m… Indian. To all saying go to Pakistan, and leave India I just say shut up.”

• G. Din
    Nov 3, 2015 - 6:30PM

The brain says; “he has a point”; the heart says:”don’t get fooled.”!
    The heart has a point. It is called “instinct”.,Recommend

• pk
    Nov 3, 2015 - 7:38PM

In India each member of the household has different religion. My mother is staunch believer, my brother is somewhere in between and myself a staunch Atheist but that is not even topic of discussion. This is state of every household in India. There should be 7 billion different religions for 7 billion people living on earth each having distinct belief as per his intelligence. World will be much safer then.Recommend

• Desi
    Nov 3, 2015 - 8:05PM

No foreign national has a “right to work” in India. It is a PRIVILEGE granted by the country.Recommend

• Alam
    Nov 3, 2015 - 8:55PM

He Never told he was from pakistan…..why are u twisting words as if he is a paki…he is an indian…and i am yet to see such type of interview in indian newspaper….is he giving u special time…Recommend

• American
    Nov 3, 2015 - 11:55PM

Mahira has a “right” to work in India…is she a citizen of India ?

Many Pakistani minority citizens don’t have any “rights”…in their own country..Recommend

• Another Indian
    Nov 4, 2015 - 2:22AM

How does a foreign national have a “right to work” in another country? Its a privilege granted by the host country..

You know, I have lost all kinds of respect for this guy… Speaking your mind and taking a stand is one thing, I respect that and going overboard is another thing.Recommend

• Alien1
    Nov 4, 2015 - 5:57AM

His movie is releasing hence, make a controversy and make it run….shameless people.Recommend

• PK
    Nov 4, 2015 - 6:05AM

@Desi and American! Yes working in India is a privilege decided by the government of India ONLY – not any thugs, is all SRK is trying to say. Recommend

• Prada
    Nov 4, 2015 - 7:53AM

Mahira Khan has every right to work in India. I am proud that she does. The Shiv Sena goons can go climb a tree.Recommend

• 2019 ke bad
    Nov 4, 2015 - 8:53AM

Someone should tell this dumb khan, a foreigner doesn’t have the automatic right to work in India it is the perogative and privilege granted by host country. Recommend

• Nil
    Nov 4, 2015 - 11:46AM

Shahrukh Sir, I respect your fillings. Meanwhile I want ask you when you are talking about RIGHTS why often you forget to comment on the situation of minorities in Pakistan.i mean how they are living under threaten conditions, also their freedom of religion? I never heard your fillings and emotional support towards across the border minorities. In Maharashtra where Bollywood exists, lots of money you have been earned till date, but you forget to donate at least few out of them to the families of farmers are getting suicide due to draught situation. You did not pay even single rupee as contribution to rehabilitate their families. But how interesting thing is that last year you have donated money to the Pakistan based charitable institute. In Maharashtra where you are earning your bread and butter, who gave you shelter, who gave you stardom in that Maharashtra how can you ignore suicide farmers issue? I never heard any comment on this from your side.Even Akshay Kumar, Nana Patekar, Preeti Zinta,Shilpa Shetty, and many Marathi actors have made their huge contribution to the suicide farmers families. Just think about you will realize your mistake.Recommend

• puja
    Nov 4, 2015 - 12:25PM

it would be better if SRK stands for rights of indians to work in pakistanRecommend

• doulat ali
    Nov 5, 2015 - 11:13AM

You big head indian should know that majourty of your poor people are working in america and EU states where the right of working is granted by your mother or father? grow up child and must aware that any person from any country who has a valid visa and border pass can be worked freely and privilage so for there is no concept of peivilge in poor indain countryRecommend

• Hina
    Nov 5, 2015 - 1:53PM

@American:
    who told u this??? hv u ever been Pak??? Recommend

• American
    Nov 5, 2015 - 3:35PM

@Hina:
    Yes. Many times.Recommend

• Hina
    Nov 5, 2015 - 3:46PM

@American:
    oohh wooww… thn plz ven u visit Pak next thn let me knw plz… bcz i want to knw where u observed dis thng…. Recommend

• Anita
    Nov 16, 2015 - 8:09AM

SRK has gone senile early

No foreign nationals have a right to work any other country without a work permit.

Why cant he look for talent in INDIA?
    Does he know if an INDIAN TV ACTOR could work in Pakistan?

As usual he will pull any stunts to get publicity for his FilmRecommend

More in Film