Pakistan summons Indian High Commissioner, lodges protest over ceasefire violations

Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudry summons Indian High Commission and protests against the unprovoked firing


Abdul Manan/Kamran Yousaf August 28, 2015
PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD: After Indian shelling killed at least nine civilians on Friday, Pakistan summoned the Indian High Commissioner to the foreign office and lodged protest over the ceasefire violation at Working Boundary.

Foreign Secretary Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry summoned Indian High Commissioner Dr TCA Raghavan and protested against the unprovoked firing from the Indian side of the border at Harpal and Chaprar that left six civilians dead and 47 injured including 22 women.

A statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs read that three villages came under Indian shelling, including Kundunpur, Bajra Garhi and Thati . The Indian aggression left many houses damaged.

Read: Army chief slams India's 'cowardly' ceasefire violations

“Firing by the Indian side started at around 11:30 pm last night, when Pakistani troops confronted India for using an excavator, near the Working Boundary without following the established SOPs. Pakistani troops initially exercised restraint however, responded befittingly when India started heavy firing. The firing ended today at 11 am,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif expressed his concerns over the ceasefire violation and the loss of six innocent lives in the cross-border firing.

The prime minister also directed foreign office and defence authorities to take up the matter with their Indian counterparts

Read: Border firing kills 9 on Pakistan-India war anniversary

Earlier on Friday, cross-border firing between India and Pakistan killed at least nine people, the day India marked the 50th anniversary of a war between the two neighbours.

On the Pakistani side of the frontier, six civilians were killed and more than 40 were treated for wounds in hospital in the town of Sialkot, the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.

India’s Border Security Force said three civilians had died and 22 were wounded in firing across the frontier in the northern Jammu region. Both said the other side had opened fire first.

Defence minister condemns ceasefire violations

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Khawaja Asif termed Indian aggression on the line of control as part of a ‘planned conspiracy against Pakistan.’

Warning India against imposing a war-like situation, Asif said Pakistan reserves the right to respond to cross-border aggression to protect itself.

He added that Pakistan had suffered the most in the war against terror, rendering innumerable sacrifices, and continues to do so with operations against militants continuing.

President vows to raise ceasefire violations at international fora

President Mamnoon Hussain has warned New Delhi that it will have to pay a heavy price for its aggression if Pakistan took up the matter at the international level.

Lamenting the loss of precious lives, Mamnoon noted that India had violated international law, traditions and agreements.

Moreover, Prime Minister’s advisor on national security Sartaj Aziz expressed ‘extreme concern’ over continued Indian violation of ceasefire.

Facebook Conversations

COMMENTS (2)

Pakistani | 4 years ago | Reply | Recommend What is the point in lodging protest?! what is this, a joke?!! bomb these Indians !!
Paindu Paki | 4 years ago | Reply | Recommend Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry and Raghavan should become roommates. Why waste so much of fuel going back and forth for daily ranting. They can just discuss such things on breakfast table. "Oh by the way Ragahavan, tere maikey walo ne taufaa bhejaa hain"
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Load Next Story