Extra-judicial killing: MQM withdraws strike call

Rangers condemn murder of Hashim, promise probe, but urge citizens to go about their daily life as per routine


Faraz Khan/rabia Ali August 09, 2015
Rangers condemn murder of Hashim, promise probe, but urge citizens to go about their daily life as per routine on Monday. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: After the body of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) worker Muhammad Hashim was found near Jamshoro, the Rabitta Committee of the party on Sunday called for observing a peaceful strike in the province on Monday Sindh.

But the party withdrew the call, just hours after announcing it in a press conference, after Director General Rangers assured the party that the murder would be investigated and those responsible would be brought to book.

Hashim, a member of Unit 164 in Liaquatabad, had been arrested by the Rangers on May 6 when he was heading home from party headquarters at Nine Zero. The paramilitary force had then shifted him to an undisclosed location. Since then, his whereabouts were not known, prompting his family to file a petition in the Sindh High Court for his recovery. The court had on July 28 directed officials to register an FIR for his disappearance.

But three months after his disappearance, Hashim's body was found from Jamshoro area with Edhi burying his body.

On Sunday, the MQM vehemently condemned what they called was an extra judicial killing of Hashim, urging supporters to observe a peaceful strike in Sindh on Monday. MQM chief Altaf Hussain also endorsed the strike call.

Rangers say no to strike

Shortly after the press conference by MQM, a Rangers spokesperson said that a strike would ‘hamper’ civic life , adding that the party worker's murder sabotages peace in Karachi.

Condemning Hashim's killing, the Rangers said that the heinous crime would be investigated and perpetrators responsible would be brought to book.

“No strike will be observed tomorrow. All citizens are urged to go about their daily life as per routine,” the statement added.

Meanwhile, Sindh Interior Minister Sohail Anwar Sial has directed all police officials in the province to remain alert and to increase vigilance, adding that no one would be allowed to take the law into their own hands.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read