Incidents of violence: Seven die in Hazara division

Couple gunned down for ‘honour’

Our Correspondent July 23, 2015
Couple gunned down for ‘honour’. STOCK IMAGE

ABBOTABAD: As many as seven people were shot dead in different incidents of violence across Hazara division, police said on Thursday. One of these was a suicide victim.

A couple was shot dead in the name of honour in Mangal area of Abbottabad. According to a police official, Kamran, a resident of DG Khan, was employed at Punjab University. He became friends with 18-year-old Samina, a resident of Chita Maira village in Mangal, and both decided to meet.

Kamran came all the way to Abbottabad to meet the girl when Samina’s brother and cousin spotted them together. They thrashed Kamran before gunning him down and dumping the body in the outskirts of the village. Upon returning home, they shot Samina as well. The accused surrendered themselves to the police.

In another incident, Ghazi police officials said 25-year-old Yasir, a resident of Jabar Moriyan village, was engaged to his 23-year-old relative Sania Bibi a few years ago. Recently, Sania’s family broke the engagement off due to unknown reasons and arranged her marriage with another man.

According to Sania’s father Abdar Khan, Yasir barged into their house on Thursday morning and shot her dead before committing suicide. Yasir’s father Afzal accused Sania’s brother Sharafat Ali for the homicide.

Meanwhile, a man and his nephew were shot dead by unidentified men in Pashto village of Allai in Battagram. Police said Muhammad Nabi and his 16-year-old nephew Gulzar Shal Khan Khel were in the area when they were gunned down.

A man committed suicide in Mohallah Nogazi in Mansehra. Police said 32-year-old Faizul Qamar alias Ali was married to a doctor and both used to live in Mohallah Sheikhabad. His wife returned to live with her parents a few days ago and despite Ali’s repeated attempts, she did not return.

On Wednesday night, Ali shot himself in the chest with his licenced pistol. Neighbours rushed him to King Abdullah Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 24th, 2015.