Six-month report: Attacks categorised as terrorism drop from 290 to 131

Related casualties reduced by over 70% compared to 2014: CTD DIG


Our Correspondent July 08, 2015
Between January and June, 131 incidents of terrorism incidents have been reported across K-P. PHOTO: AFP

PESHAWAR: There has been a considerable decrease in terrorism cases in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa during the first six months of 2015 as compared to previous years.

This was said by counter-terrorism department (CTD) DIG Salahuddin during a meeting held at Central Police Office in the city on Wednesday. During the moot, he briefed participants about number of terrorism cases reported in the province over the past four years.

“Between January and June, 131 incidents of terrorism incidents have been reported across K-P,” he said. “At least 63 people, including 23 policemen, were killed in the attacks.” Salahuddin said deaths resulting from these incidents have been reduced by over 70% as compared to 2014 and 84% as compared to 2013.



According to Salahuddin, these figures are comparatively lower than terrorism cases reported in in the first six months of 2012, 2013 and 2014.

“In 2014, at least 290 incidents of terrorism were reported,” the CTD DIG said. “Meanwhile, 281 cases were registered in 2013 and 203 were recorded in 2012; there has been a substantial decrease.”

The CTD DIG added, “Terrorist attacks in the first six months of the year have left 156 people injured this year as compared to 590 during the same period in 2014.” He said, “At least 1,077 were injured in 2013, indicating a 74% decline.”

Crackdowns

The DIG informed participants CTD had solved 104 cases of terrorism successfully and arrested the culprits.

“The ongoing crackdown against extortionists and kidnappers is in full swing,” he said. “Many kidnappers have been arrested.”

Speaking at the meeting, participants said police have inspected 115,000 rented houses in the province.

“Tenants are bound to share details with their local police stations,” one of the speakers said. “So far, 2,445 FIRs have been registered against those who violate this law.”

He added that a crackdown against unregistered Afghan refugees is also under way.

“In the past six months, 10,175 Afghan nationals have been arrested for not possessing valid documents,” he said. “Around 2,648 people have been booked for attesting CNICs of Afghan refugees. Further action is under way.”

Reduction in terrorism?

According to police report issued in May, at least 94 incidents of terrorism were reported from Peshawar district alone during the first five months of 2015.

Earlier in May, IGP Nasir Durrani said terrorism-related cases have decreased in the province by 55% over the last four years. He said significant reductions have been made in kidnapping for ransom, extortion and terrorism-related cases.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 9th, 2015.

 

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read