Zain murder case: ATC indicts former federal minister’s son

Court holds Mustafa Kanju and four others responsible for Zain Rauf's murder


Web Desk June 30, 2015
The court held Mustafa Kanju and four others responsible for the murder of Zain Rauf in April. Express News screengrab

A special anti-terrorism court on Tuesday indicted former federal minister Siddique Kanju’s son Mustafa Kanju for killing a teenager and injuring another, Express News reported.

Holding Mustafa Kanju and four others responsible, the court issued notices to the witnesses of prosecution for July 7. Others accused include Asif, Sadiq, Sadullah and Akram.

Read: Former minister's son admits to 'accidentally' killing teenager in Lahore

On April 1, Mustafa opened fire on a vehicle near Lahore’s Cavalry Ground area, killing 16-year-old Zain and leaving a pedestrian injured.

“I did shoot but did not intend to kill anyone,” he had said adding, Mustafa said he had fired shots, during the clash, to scare his opponents. However, after initial denials, he admitted to 'accidentally' killing Rauf.

Read: Zain’s killing: I fired only to deter people: Kanju

Tragic ending

Zain was laid to rest after funeral prayers in Cavalry Ground, where a large number of people from different walks of life turned up. Around 50 of his classmates, cousins and friends protested, carrying placards and banners, shouting slogans against the suspects and the government.

At the funeral, Zain’s mother Ghazala Rauf cried incessantly. She had lost her husband Abdul Rauf last year following his unsuccessful surgery in England.

“I request the chief minister to hang these people who are behind the murder of my innocent son,” she said with tears rolling down her cheeks.

Zain’s uncle, Muhammad Saleem, told The Express Tribune the family had been receiving threatening calls since Wednesday night, pressuring them to accept “blood money”. The Islamic law of “Diyat” allows payment of financial compensation to the victim or his heirs in cases of murder, bodily harm or property damage.

DIG Operations Dr Haider Ashraf said the family had been provided security cover. Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken notice of the incident.

Mustafa obtained his degree from the UK and returned to Pakistan in 2001, an area resident told The Express Tribune. He has been jobless for the past seven years, he said.

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ