Operation near kabul: US raid on arms cache incites protests

Solo US operations are legal under a bilateral security agreement the two nations signed last year


Reuters June 30, 2015
PHOTO: REUTERS

KABUL:


The US forces conducted a raid to destroy a cache of weapons north of Kabul early on Monday morning, a US army spokesman said.


“US Forces conducted an operation to destroy a cache of munitions that could be used to conduct attacks against Afghans and Coalition Forces,” public affairs director Colonel Brian Tribus said.


However, Afghan residents took to the streets in Parwan province in protest, briefly obstructing the highway to the capital.


Local authorities complained they had not been consulted ahead of time. “As the operation was launched without coordination of local authorities, it made people angry,” a spokesman for the governor, Wahid Sediqqi, said.


Solo US operations are legal under a bilateral security agreement the two nations signed last year. The raids remain a divisive subject in Afghanistan.


Published in The Express Tribune, June 30th, 2015. 

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read