QUETTA: A judicial commission constituted by the federal government started hearing cases of missing persons in Quetta on Tuesday.
The commission, headed by Justice (retd) Gush Bakhsh , has been tasked to investigate cases of missing persons, particularly in Balochistan.
Home Secretary Akbar Hussain Durrani told The Express Tribune that the hearings started from Tuesday and will continue until June 26.
Sources said at least 11 cases of missing persons from Quetta and one case from Dera Bugti were heard by the commission.
The commission will hear 59 cases of missing persons of Quetta, Mastung, Kalat, Awaran, Khuzdar, Dera Bugti, Nushki and Harnai.
The Balochistan chief minister has termed the enforced disappearances the troubled province’s most significant issue and added that the judicial commission hearings would help to improve the law and order situation if the issue is addressed properly.
Relatives of the missing people have arrived at the home department from different areas of Quetta and Balochistan for the hearing. The government and commission, however, did not disclose how many people have so far been recovered or surfaced since the start of the hearing.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ