
“RAW officials sent a text to the Zimbabwe team manager when the team landed in Dubai, threatening him that if they came to Pakistan, none of them would go back alive,” Khanzada said, while addressing the Punjab Assembly.
"The team manager then forwarded the message to Pakistani security agencies who upon investigation discovered the number belonged to a RAW official," the home minister added.
Read: Suicide attack: Zimbabwe's tour remains unaffected, will continue, says PCB
Further, Khanzada claimed the suicide blast outside Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore during a match between the two countries was an attempt by RAW to sabotage the event.
"We foiled RAW's attempt to abandon Pakistan, Zimbabwe cricket series," he upheld.
Zimbabwe toured Pakistan on May 19 for three ODIs and two T20s. Despite strict security at the stadium, a suicide bomber exploded himself outside Gaddafi Stadium killing two people during the second ODI of the Pakistan-Zimbabwe.
Read: Successful Zimbabwe tour will change perceptions, says SLC President
The incident, which triggered a news blackout in Pakistani media, came despite heavy security for the country’s first cricket series on home soil since an attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in March 2009.
Security had been ratcheted up for the series with around 4,000 policemen guarding the stadium itself, and a further 2,000 along the route from the Zimbabwe team hotel to the venue.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ