LONDON: Saudi Arabia offered $10 billion for the release of deposed Egypt president Hosni Mubarak, whistle-blower website Wikileaks has revealed in its documents released last week.
The deposed autocrat, who has been a long-time Saudi ally, is imprisoned in Egypt and facing trials in courts after the revolution in Egypt.
Out of the several documents released by Wikileaks, some suggest that one leader in Brotherhood had said the group could ensure Mubarak would not go to prison in exchange of $10 billion.
However, a handwritten note on the document said paying ‘ransom’ for Mubarak was ‘not a good idea’ because the Brotherhood could not prevent his incarceration.
WikiLeaks did not say where it obtained the documents, but it referred in a press release to Riyadh’s statement in May that it had suffered a breach of its computer networks, an attack later claimed by a group calling itself the Yemeni Cyber Army. Saudi state and private media on Saturday ignored the release.
Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia has warned its citizen to ignore thousands of its diplomatic documents leaked by Wikileaks which it says are “fake”.
On Sunday, Saudi foreign ministry spokesperson Osama Naqli warned the country not to “allow enemies of the state to achieve their intentions in regards to exchanging or publishing any documents” and said “many of them had been fabricated in a very obvious manner”.
Naqli said investigations were under way and that the ministry would prosecute those involved, a statement on the Saudi news agency said.
The whistle-blower website has in the past also leaked sensitive diplomatic documents pertaining to Pakistan, India and Iran.