The Shehzad Town police on Friday registered a case against three men suspected of sexually assaulting a teenage boy, said a police official.
MS*, 16, a resident of Ali Pur in Chak Shahzad, was sexually assaulted by three men on June 5, said Investigation Officer (IO), Muhammad Tariq.
The case was registered on Friday, a week after the alleged incident. The complainant is the victim’s brother. The delay echoes the ongoing case of a boy who was allegedly assaulted by a school official.
The complainant stated that his younger brother was at his home on June 5 when around 7:30pm he got a call from one of his friends, who asked him to come to Ali Pur. From there, the complainant said, they took him to a house where they raped him. The IO said that the medical report has been sent to Lahore for examination and would take at least two weeks to process.
According to the complainant his brother went outside after the friend claimed to have found a buyer for an old phone that he wanted to sell.
According to the FIR, the attackers threatened to kill the victim if he tried to disclose the matter to his family.
The FIR states that when MS was terrified when he got home, but told his family what had happened the next day.
To a question, SHO Qaiser Niaz Gillani, said the FIR was registered on June 12 and it is not possible for the police to track down and arrest the suspects within 24 hours. “We don’t have magic wands,” said the officer.
The SHO added that according to the medical report from Pims, the victim had been sexually assaulted.
School attacker remand extended
Meanwhile, the police on Saturday obtained a further two-day physical remand of a man suspected of sexually assaulting a six-year-old boy at a school.
The Margalla police had on June 9 registered an FIR against WM*, a peon at Islamabad Convent School F-8/4, for allegedly sexually assaulting a six-year-old student in a school washroom.
The suspect was sent on two-day physical remand on Monday after a three-day remand expired on Saturday. Police had requested the court to extend the remand for further investigation.
Muhammad Aslam, the investigation officer for the case, said that police had recorded the statement of the victim’s mother and further investigation was under way.
The incident took place on June 4, but was not reported to the police till June 8. A case was registered on June 9. The boy’s parents say the school administration caused the delay in their attempt to hush up the issue.
*Names changed to protect identity
Published in The Express Tribune, June 14th, 2015.