• Blanch spinach for two minutes in boiling water and then place it in ice water for another two minutes
• Combine all the ingredients in a blender and mix thoroughly
• Once the smoothie is ready, serve it chilled.
Prep time: 10 minutes
How to pick the right mangoes?
No matter how much desis hate the summer, we can’t deny that the hot and sticky weather brings with itself the goodness of mangoes. From morning breakfasts to midnight snacks, we simply can’t get enough of the delicious fruit to satiate our appepite. If you love mangoes and want to enjoy the mango season, follow these simple tips for picking out the best of the crop.
• Don’t focus on colour because it’s not the best indicator of ripeness.
• Squeeze the mango gently before buying. Remember a ripe mango will be slightly soft.
• Ripe mangoes will sometimes have a fruity aroma at their stem end so smell the fruit before buying.
• The red colour that appears on some varieties is not an indicator of ripeness. Always judge by feel and texture of the mango.
Did You Know?
You may have tried cutting down on all the cold beverages we have been gulping down during the summer in exchange for lukewarm drinks that apparently help us lose weight. But did you know that ice cubes are just as good at reducing calories? According to Beth Kitchin, PhD, RD, at the University of Alabama, eating ice cubes can help burn a few extra pounds. The science behind this is simple: when you eat ice cubes right off the ice trays your body burns calories to warm them to body temperature. The effect may only be slight but it’s definitely worth a try!
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, May 31st, 2015.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ