Had I been involved in money laundering I'd be in jail: Saba Qamar

Published: April 22, 2015

KARACHI: Pakistani television industry’s most sought after actress Saba Qamar has denied she is under investigation for money laundering after an Urdu newspaper made this claim on Tuesday.

“If I were involved in any such matter I would have been behind bars by now. All my bank accounts are clean,” she said while speaking to The Express Tribune.

Saba said her cousin informed her about the rumour. “I was at home when I heard about it. When something like this comes in the news it destroys you mentally.”

PHOTO: REVIEWIT.PK

It is unclear where the rumour originated. According to Saba an Urdu website by the name Urdu Point was the first one to carry it while multiple news outlets claimed it was Urdu newspaper Jahaan Pakistan that broke the false news.

Jahaan Pakistan had reported that Saba was allegedly involved in the smuggling of large sums of money for an official of the National Bank of Pakistan. It also insinuated that Saba was in a relationship with this bank official.

PHOTO: AWAAMTV

“I don’t understand what people have against me. First the linkup with Hamza Ali Abbasi and now this – things like these destroy your image.”

She added, “Consider this. If a nice family was thinking of getting me married to their son; today, those chances have been ruined just because of this rumor. It is already challenging for women to work in the entertainment industry and be accepted and then there are these allegations; honestly they leave no space for you to walk freely. Main tou do daafa bemaut hee maari gai (I died twice without actually dying).”

PHOTO: INSIGHTPAKISTAN

Saba said there needs to be a law that prevents false news from spreading.

“A TV anchor mentioned me and a few other actresses in his prime time show alleging we were involved in money laundering. It’s such a shame,” she added.

When asked about Ayyan’s ongoing money laundering case, Saba said, “It’s not my place to comment on her. Why should I point my finger at her?”

PHOTO: UWPICS

• fair
    Apr 22, 2015 - 7:17PM

keeping in view your beauty option could not be ruled out Recommend

• Sarah
    Apr 22, 2015 - 10:14PM

Firstly, there is a law against spreading false rumours and its called ‘defamation’ and yes, it exists in Pakistan as well.

Secondly, what does this concept of a ‘nice’ family even mean? That implies that in some way only ‘bad’ families will take an interest in you now. Rumours and allegations until proven correct should remain and be treated as such. Pakistani’s should be encouraging these ‘nice families’ to look beyond what they hear through the grapevine and focus on a person’s character based on their own assessment and experience and not be living in ‘mental agony’ and in fear of having rumours spread about you. God forbid someone might say something about you to these ‘nice families’. There will always be rumours, if its not money laundering then its some other ‘taaza khabar’. When you joined the media industry, you exposed yourself to a world where rumours are part and parcel of the business. Its what you signed up for, so I don’t think you should be that surprised and ‘destroyed mentally’. Take it in your stride and shrug it off if its not true instead of dramatising it, be empowered – take steps towards stopping journalists from publishing whatever they want – use the defamation law, sue the people responsible, be proactive. Why do Pakistani women have to portray themselves to be weak, damsels in distress that are continuously living in the fear of these so called ‘nice families’ who might not accept them for being bold and making brave choices? Why can’t they be empowered, strong, morally upright and courageous women who don’t whine about how ‘nice families’ will not allow their ‘Umreekan graduate’ son to marry them, but instead, bring justice and accountability through their experiences and seek to progress for women-kind rather than take 10 steps back? Recommend

• Ali
    Apr 22, 2015 - 10:42PM

She is my favourite!Recommend

• Parvez
    Apr 23, 2015 - 12:39AM

Apart from being gorgeous and a great actress…..you are an amazing stand-up comedian. I suggest you should not get defensive and hide but make fun of this in a way that shows it absurdity. Recommend

• Ali
    Apr 23, 2015 - 2:04AM

What Goes around comes Around Recommend

• Gizzy
    Apr 23, 2015 - 4:26AM

one the few true beauties on Pak. TV sceneRecommend

• Malik T
    Apr 23, 2015 - 5:03AM

Time to punish not just likes of Ayyan, but also those wolves for whom they work. In any case entertainment, or sports, or what that matter any political elite or icons, if caught in this conspiracy to destroy Pakistan economically through large scale organised money transfers from this country to abroad, should be given exemplary severe punishments, otherwise this will encourage others to follow suit, because if you can get away inspite of media exposure, than God help this country.Recommend

• Waqas
    Apr 23, 2015 - 9:47AM

@Sarah:
    Very well written comment, in summary our showbiz actresses remember “good families” as soon as a rumor comes out. They should be strong enough to say that it is just a rumor and should not effect us in any way. And definition of “good families” need to be cleared out once and for all, I belong to a good family but surely my lifestyle could not match Saba Qamar’s so am I a “good family” or “bad family” in short “we have to stand up for our rights and if we feel that our rights have been given to us we should try to fight for rights of others”. Recommend

• mohammad janju
    Apr 23, 2015 - 9:59AM

When U R famous peoples are jealous about U &are in the habit making such false accusation.Don’t worry.Carry out your work and every thing will be OK Inshallah…Recommend

• Timorlane
    Apr 23, 2015 - 11:02AM

so say Zardari, Addi Talpur, Dr. Asim Hussain,

Rehman Malik, Manzoor Qadir,

Anwar Majeed, Sharjeel Memon, Agha Sirag Durrani,

Sharmeela Farooqi, Khurshid Shah, Hamza Shahbaz,

Shazia Marri, Salman Shahbaz, Khawaja Asif, IOshaq Dar,

Nisar Khuhro, Hanif Abbasi, Isfandyar Wali,

Fazlurr Rehman, Altaf Hussain, Babar Ghori,

All are neat and clean people like Ms. Qamar.

Democracy Zindabad.Recommend

• Adam
    Apr 23, 2015 - 3:50PM

@Sarah:
    True. Now lets make sure Saba gets to respect YOUR viewpoint, and changes hers in the process. Yours, by the way, is incidentally more voluminous than the story itself.Recommend

• Waleed
    Apr 23, 2015 - 5:24PM

Cry baby cry :D Recommend

• faraz
    Apr 23, 2015 - 8:05PM

There should be strong legal plenty against false and baseless news and the people who spread without any proof and credence.Recommend

• Apr 24, 2015 - 12:39AM

First, you are an overconfident character (my assessment), Secondly, file defamation suit to anchors and channels who tried to tarnish your image publicly. That will somehow repair damage and will reclaim your space. Otherwise, soon you will be trial like Ayan Ali.Recommend

• Shèru
    Sep 19, 2015 - 4:00AM

I totally agreed with sara comments bcoz in starting days i like saba qamar n her acting but now some months ago I heard a information about her & it’s shocking for me i dont believe that kind of girl was involved in such a bad activities.i must say one thing eventually money n fame is everything for our actresses. No one can’t spread rumours n fake Stories miss or mrs saba & You Are not a miss world that people jealous to uRecommend

More in Gossip