What colour is this dress that broke the internet?

Published: February 27, 2015
The internet is having a meltdown. PHOTO: HINDUSTAN TIMES

The internet is having a meltdown. PHOTO: HINDUSTAN TIMES

The image of a certain dress went viral on social media and sparked an intense debate between everyone who has seen the dress. While some look at the dress and say that it is blue and black, others are adamant that the dress is white and gold, Hindustan Times reported.

“I still can’t believe how it changed colours right in front of my eyes,” an employee at the hindustan times said.  “I am freaking out,” he added, running around the office.

Read: Clothing exhibition: Get your style on with traditional dresses

The image was originally posted on Tumblr by ‘Swiked’ in which readers were asked to identify the hues in the dress.

PHOTO: TUMBLR

While some argue that the dress is blue in black, those on the other side of the debate say it is white and gold. Adobe Photoshop’s eyedropper tool on the other hand says it is blue and black.

Many theories have come about in an attempt to provide an explanation for the differences in colour but most have theorised that the cones and rods in our eyes cause some people to see it as blue and black while others will see white and gold.

Read: Federer sorry for India ‘bleed blue’ upset

The dress- which is advertised as blue and black- can be found on Amazon and is listed as “royal blue”. With all the disagreements surrounding the colours, some have lost friends over this dress.

“This dress made me lose all of my friends and now I am so lonely,” said one review on Amazon after the dress was purchased.

PHOTO: AMAZON

The disagreement continued across social media and many took to Twitter to participate in the debate and tell others what colour they believed the dress to be. Celebrities too joined the debate and took to their Twitter accounts.

The whole dress colour controversy has raised some critical questions on social media:

Poll

What colour is the dress?

View Results

Polls are non-scientific, reflect only the online audience and can be manipulated.
Loading ... Loading ...

There is however a scientific explanation behind why some see the dress as blue and black while others see it as white and gold.

Following the debate, the seller of the dress British clothing retailer Roman Originals has announced their decision to make the dress in white and gold, according to The Independent.

“We are thinking about making a gold and white version,” Ian Johnson, Roman Original’s Creative Manager, told Mashable.

“We already do it in other colours. We could do it quickly, but it has to go through quality assurance.”

The dress has sold out in all its colours and sizes, but Johnson said that while they make the white and gold version they are stocking 300 more new pieces of each combination.

And here’s our final verdict on the dress debate:

• Feb 27, 2015 - 11:55AM

What kind of phenomena is this? I saw white and gold in the start but now its blue and black!Recommend

• M
    Feb 27, 2015 - 12:43PM

I see white and gold…what is wrong with me?!?!Recommend

• Junaid
    Feb 27, 2015 - 1:50PM

i mean how can this become such a debate.
    when we take pics dress, different color can appear due to amount of lighting used and we being it to photoshop and adjust contrast/brightness color can be changed totally.
    whats black can become gray etc.Recommend

• Asim Awan
    Feb 27, 2015 - 4:57PM

@M:
    There are dozens of us. Dozens!Recommend

• asad ali
    Feb 27, 2015 - 10:11PM

It seems Blue n black to meRecommend

• just_someone
    Feb 27, 2015 - 10:21PM

This is the day humanity should collectively shoot itself and leave the planet for the non-human living creatures.
    Im sure they will make a better civilization than us!Recommend

• Lexi
    Feb 27, 2015 - 11:15PM

Ok guys listen up. Everywhere I’ve seen people have either been seeing blue and black or white and gold yeah? And some people have actually seen it change RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. I thought that was ludicrous, I mean ok sure you see it’s blue and black when it’s clearly white and gold Huh? Yaaa. Sure. Nut. Or, WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU SMOKING!? It’s clearly BLUE and BLACK! Get your eyes checked!

That’s just slightly insane. But when THIS FREAKIN’ DRESS literally CHANGES RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU…..now you need a trip to the loony bin.

I mean, what!? ….WHAT!? Nuh uh. Nope.

All this time….I’ve been clearly seeing blue and black. Like, not quite royal but a shade lighter? Deeper cornflower blue? I don’t know. The point was. It was clearly blue and black. I saw that. My sister saw it. My mom too. But my dad saw white and gold. Same picture, same device. What the heck?

But that’s not all. All the pictures I’ve seen everywhere, were blue and black. Until about 15 minutes ago. That’s when things really started to go screwy. I was looking at that dang dress again with my sister and I asked, confused, if it was an edited version. She looked confused right back at me and said no. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS WHITE AND GOLD. I was seeing a white and gold dress while she was still seeing it blue and black!

She thought I was messing with her, while I was frantically trying to explain that YES I PROMISE IT’S A WHITE AND GOLD DRESS SEE!? LOOK AT IT! CLEARLY LILAC AND BRONZE-Y GOL-Wait. WAIT.

And my gosh would you believe it. That freakin’ demon possessed dress MORPHED I tell you TRANFORMED LIKE SOME INSANE MAGIC VOODOO TRICK RIGHT. IN. FRONT. OF. MY. EYES.

Back to black and blue.

I am now freaking out at my sister telling I SWEAR I PROMISE IT JUST CHANGED BACK AND NOW SHE’S LOOKING AT ME LIKE I NEED TO GET MY EYES EXAMINED-NO, MY HEAD CAUSE THAT’S JUST CRAZY.

…..And now, I believe all those nutters that claimed it changed right in front of them. I am one of them.

Excuse me while I check into the nearest psychiatric hospital. Recommend

• amms
    Feb 28, 2015 - 12:13AM

interesting :) express tribune has lot of good things to share with us…keep it up !Recommend

• Samia
    Mar 1, 2015 - 7:29PM

It’s light blue and gold – y is this not an option to choose?? Recommend

More in Life & Style