Don’t have time to go on a whole spa vacation? A day spa can give you a chance to relax and enjoy some treatments without packing your bags.
Here are some ways to ensure that you have a great time at the spa:
Take care in choosing a spa
• Look for a friendly, nurturing staff. All therapists should be licensed.
• There should be a well-designed environment. It will usually have soothing music, low lighting, and pleasant aromas.
• It should have equipment such as hydrotherapy tubs, whirlpool tubs, steam rooms, sauna, steam cabinets, Vichy shower, etc.
• A clean, sanitary environment is an absolute must.
• There should also be a request for you to complete a medical disclosure questionnaire.
Prepare for your spa experience before you go
• Drink plenty of water before and after services to enhance the benefits of your treatments.
• Don’t eat for at least an hour before or after your massage.
• Arrive early so you have time to enjoy the sauna, steam or whirlpool before your treatment. If you get in a whirlpool, shower to get rid of the chlorine before a massage.
• Allow your mind to calm down before your treatment. Most spas have a meditation room that lets you quiet down.
• Although most spas have lockers that lock, try leaving valuables at home.
Enjoy your spa experience
• Relax. Take slow, deep breaths before your treatment begins. Envision every muscle in your body relaxing.
• Communicate with your therapist. If you have any feedback on the temperature or amount of pressure, let them know.
Extend the spa experience at home
• Take care of yourself at home. Most spas sell the products they use. Don’t feel pressured to buy, but it’s a good idea to get into a skin care routine at home.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 6th, 2014.
Like Life & Style on Facebook, follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.