Indian elections: Campaigning touches new low

Published: April 12, 2014
Email
Amit Shah. PHOTO: FILE

Amit Shah. PHOTO: FILE

Azam Khan. PHOTO: FILE Amit Shah. PHOTO: FILE
DELHI: 

Insinuations about Narendra Modi’s ‘undeclared’ wife and Rahul Gandhi’s ‘foreign women friends’ clogged the airspace as the election campaign in India became dirty and the stakes went higher.

On Friday, angered by the communal tone of Amit Shah, the former Gujarat home minister and Narendra Modi’s man in Uttar Pradesh; and Azam Khan of the Samajwadi Party who said recently that the Kargil war was won by Muslim soldiers, the Election Commission banned both leaders from addressing rallies, road shows and public meetings.

Such an order has never been issued against active politicians in recent memory. But because the Election Commission is the most powerful body that assumes all civilian powers during the conduct of an election, its quasi judicial order will have to be complied with.

This order amounts to the virtual internment of these two leaders who have been thought to be inflaming religious passions.

“The Election Commission has zero tolerance for anything – or anyone – who tries to subvert the democratic process and will use all powers in its command to prevent this,” a top EC official said.

The election campaign teetered on the edge of indecency.

Despite strong BJP protests, the official Congress party website continued to post a picture of former National Democratic Alliance (NDA) prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee decrying the 2002 Gujarat riots and recalling his comment that he agreed with those who felt Modi should have resigned from the office of state chief minister after so many lost their lives.

It is highly unusual for a political party to post a picture and comments of a prime minister of its closest rival. The Madhya Pradesh chapter of BJP today filed a police complaint against Congress President Sonia Gandhi, alleging that her party’s website resorted to false statements while using Vajpayee’s name on it. In the complaint, the party said the Congress was resorting to ‘false statements’ in a bid to entice voters.

Last week the Congress had made much of The Economist magazine, which had refused to endorse Modi’s candidature for the office of prime minister. This week, the website featured an article in UK’s Guardian newspaper, which said ‘Narendra Modi, a man with a massacre on his hands is not a reasonable choice for India’.

The Congress also launched a campaign about Modi’s wife. Accompanied by many nudge-nudge wink-wink statements (Anand Sharma said now that the nation knew Narendra Modi was married, congratulations were in order) the Congress launched a frontal attack on Modi for not disclosing his marital status.

However, as the BJP – especially its IT brigade – was expecting this, they too went into overdrive. Anonymous emails said if Modi had not declared he had a wife, neither had Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in his affidavit.

In a tit-for-tat move, the BJP also threatened to bring out skeletons of a personal nature in the cupboard of the Nehru-Gandhi family. Senior BJP leaders Ravi Shankar Prasad and Venkaiah Naidu on Friday said the Congress’ attack on BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Modi on the issue of his marriage would ‘boomerang’.

Supporters also began citing all those who’ve had two wives including Mulayam Singh Yadav (who married his second wife after the first one had died and publicly announced he had a son from that relationship). Insinuations are also being made about Rahul Gandhi’s foreign women friends.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 12th, 2014.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (5)

  • Apr 12, 2014 - 4:12AM

    Why didn’t you print large picture of Azam Khan who was responsible for recent UP riot?

    Recommend

  • mnm
    Apr 12, 2014 - 6:38AM

    Both of them now cannot campaign at all

    Recommend

  • god
    Apr 12, 2014 - 8:21AM

    no one can compete with congress in this field.

    Recommend

  • Simpleton
    Apr 12, 2014 - 11:18PM

    To all who do not know: As Mr.Dipak said, Azam Khan was responsible for riots by bringing out from police station ,within a day, around 20(muslims) who killed 2 hindu youth. The 2 killed a muslim before for sexually harassing their sister. This riots wouldn’t have happened if the 1 killed was also a hindu or 2 were Muslims. Its a shame that religion was brought into such a matter.

    & its always good to see politicians whining about the Supreme Court or the EC. Both deserved it.Recommend

  • komal s
    Apr 13, 2014 - 8:42AM

    By the way, how would Pakistanis respond if Azam Khan said was really true. Indian Muslims single handedly beat Pakistani soldiers during Kargil. By that way, there is no comparison to what Amit Shah allegedly said vs Azam Khan.

    Recommend

More in World