As the government unrolled its much-awaited National Security Policy, it presented the country’s top counterterrorism body— National Counter Terrorism Authority (Nacta) — as the pivotal agency responsible for forming strategy, coordinating efforts and overseeing execution. However, this latent body has failed to convene a single meeting to discuss the security challenges since it was formed last year.
Nacta is a statutory authority that has functions in all relevant areas of policy formulation, strategy and implementation, a senior official of the body explained.
It is mandatory for Nacta’s Board of Governors (BoG) – after it was given the status of an autonomous body with the enactment of the Nacta Act, 2013 on March 22 last year – to hold meetings before taking decisions on security-related issues. “Nacta did not hold a single meeting to discuss the newly drafted National Security Policy 2014,” said the official.
Prime Minister Nawaz is the chairman of Nacta’s BoG.
According to the law, it is supposed to meet every three months. “It [the Board of Governors] shall meet at least once in each quarter of the year ... recommend rules and approve policies and manuals in order to carry out the purposes of this Act,” reads the Nacta Act.
Even the body’s budget is approved by its BoG, which failed to hold its maiden meeting during the current fiscal year, the official told The Express Tribune.
The new 94-page National Security Policy was approved by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a cabinet meeting and then it was unveiled in the National Assembly on Wednesday. Pages 46-47 of this new national policy read: “Early last year, through the promulgation of the Nacta Act 2013, it has been conceived to be a focal organisation for coordinating counterterrorism efforts in Pakistan. After due process of deliberation and examination, the national security policy 2014-2018 has been developed and would be placed before the BoG of Nacta for approval.”
However, many are sceptical about whether Nacta will fulfill these responsibilities.
Officials familiar with the authority’s affairs told The Express Tribune that only two officers – Fazl-e-Majid and Obaidullah Farooq – are currently working for the top counterterrorism body with no experience of security-related issues.
Two other officers—Javed Iqbal and Babar Khan — have already challenged the placement of Nacta under the Ministry of Interior in the Islamabad High Court, seeking the restoration of its status with the Prime Minister Secretariat as mentioned in NACTA Act 2013.
Both officers have also challenged the appointment of sitting National Coordinator Aamir Ashraf Khawaja and Chief of Staff Akbar Nasir.
Two senior officers—National Coordinator Dr Syed Hyder Ali and Director Administration Khizer Nagra—have already been unceremoniously removed from their offices.
With only two to three officers, how can Nacta be the focal counterterrorism organisation with civilian command and capacity to strike against targets, officials questioned.
“It’s a confusing situation. With the current state of the body and its existing capacity, we don’t know whether it will be able to produce the desired results or not,” remarked former Interior Secretary Tasneem Noorani.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 28th, 2014.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ