ISLAMABAD: President Mamnoon Hussain on Friday honoured newly appointed army chief General Raheel Sharif and Chairperson Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Rashad Mehmood with the Nishan-e-Imtiaz (military) award, Radio Pakistan reported.
The ceremony took place at the Aiwan-e Sadr in Islamabad and was attended by civil and military leaders including Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
The army chief is the younger brother of Major Shabbir Sharif who won Pakistan’s highest military award - the Nishaan-e-Haider - for his martyrdom in the 1971 war with India.
Lieutenant General Raheel Sharif
• Commander, Gujranwala XXX Corps (as three-star/Lt General)
• Commandant of Pakistan Military Academy, Kakul (as two-star/Maj General)
• General Officer Commanding, Lahore (as two-star/Maj General)
Lieutenant General Rashad Mehmood
• Commander, Lahore IV Corps (as three-star/Lt General)
• DG-CTW at the ISI (where he essentially re-established the pivotal Counterrorism, or ‘C’ Branch, of Aabpara)
• Military Secretary to Nawaz Sharif-era president, Rafiq Tarar (as one-star/Brigadier)
• UN Brigade Commander (as one-star/Brigadier)
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ