Passage of supplies facilitates NATO draw down from Afghanistan: FO

Foreign Office says the government's stance has always been clear on drones.

Web Desk December 05, 2013
The foreign office has maintained that the government has continued the passage of NATO supplies to facilitate NATO withdrawal from Afghanistan. PHOTO: AFP/ FILE

ISLAMABAD: A Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson said in a press briefing on Thursday that the government has continued to arrange the passage of NATO supplies so that NATO forces may smoothly withdraw from Afghanistan.

"We have seen reports that the US has suspended the NATO supplies through Torkham for security of transporters," said a Foreign Office spokesperson.

"The government has continued the arrangement for passage of NATO supplies in order to facilitate draw down of NATO forces from Afghanistan."

The spokesperson maintained that the government was fully committed to its anti-drone stance.

"The government of Pakistan has consistently called for an end to drone strikes and has taken up this matter at the highest level with the United States and has also taken it up at United Nations. The government believes that all aspects related to these issues need to be settled peacefully and through talks."

Human rights should be respected in Kashmir

In response to a question on the Kashmir issues, the spokesperson stressed on bilateral talks between India and Pakistan.

"We believe that the Kashmir issue should be resolved peacefully through talks based on UN Security Council resolutions. We have always urged the Indian government to engage with us in meaningful and substantive talks to resolve this long standing dispute."

"We further believe that the Kashmiri leadership should be associated with the dialogue process. Having said that, I would like to add that the present government wishes to have improved relations with India."

When asked to confirm reports that India was constructing a wall along the LoC, the FO spokesperson said:

"We have seen these media reports. There is an understanding that there should be no major construction within 500 meters on either side of the LoC. We believe this understanding must be respected."

Regarding the statement given by Sartaj Aziz on Wednesday that the Indian troops must pull out from Siachen Glacier, the spokesperson was asked:

"There was also a statement issued from Prime Minister’s office that he has a dream of seeing Indian-held Kashmir free. Is there any change in Pakistan’s stance?"

In response, the FO official observed:

"In the statement attributed to Sartaj Aziz, comments were made on the environmental dimension of the Siachen issue. Our position on Siachen issue is well-known. We believe that there should be disengagement of forces and demilitarisation of the area and the issue needs to be resolved through talks."

He confirmed that the statement attributed to Nawaz Sharif, which quoted him as saying that the Kashmir issue could trigger a war, had been misquoted.

Facebook Conversations

COMMENTS (3)

Eddies | 6 years ago | Reply | Recommend

This same group that has complained about the American presence in Afganistan is now delaying the withdrawal?....your short sighted politicians have no vision of the future...

Ahmed | 6 years ago | Reply | Recommend

now our sellout federal government of PMLN will arrange other supply route for NATO and that would be from karachi to chaman balochistan because of the draw down of NATO forces 2014 from Afghanistan. well some federal bureaucrats will defiantly fill their pockets will dollars.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Load Next Story