Back to back bomb blasts in Karachi kill six, injure 28 people

MQM appeals to observe a peaceful day of mourning on Saturday, but businesses, schools, transport to remain open.


Web Desk November 22, 2013
One rickshaw, one motorcycle, two cars and four shops were destroyed in the blast. PHOTO: EXPRESS/MOHAMMAD NOMAN

KARACHI: At least six people, including a child, were killed and as many as 28 people were injured when two successive explosions ripped through Ancholi, located in Federal 'B' Area of Karachi, late on Friday, Express News reported.


One of the bombs exploded outside a tea stall in Ancholi. The second exploded a minute later outside a caterer's shop located a short distance away.

DIG West Javed Alam Odho told media that per an initial report of the Bomb Disposal Squad, both explosions were planted bombs, and had used around three to four kgs of explosive material together with ball bearings.

Odho added that both the bombs were planted on motorcycles, and detonated remotely using mobile phones, with the first bomb more powerful than the second.


"It [explosion] could have been even more devastating, since there were a number of rallies today and a congregation being held nearby had ended at 10pm."

The explosions destroyed a total four shops, two cars (one bearing government number plate), a rickshaw and a motorcycle.

The intensity of the blasts was such that the explosion was heard for miles around.

"The blasts could be heard even at a distance of 15km-20km. Residents in North Nazimabad and Gulshan-e-Iqbal have reported they heard the explosions," reported Express News correspondent Rehan Khan.

At least 28 injured people were brought to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for treatment, five of whom succumbed to their wounds. One of those who died was a child. Three patients in critical condition have been transferred to a private hospital on the request of their relatives.



Express News correspondent Rehan Khan said that officials at the hospital have confirmed that 28 people had been injured in the blast. Some of the injured are still missing.

https://twitter.com/HaiderRizviMQM/status/403965947738095617

Express News correspondent Naeem Khanzada reported that the blast also plunged the area into darkness. Karachi Electric Supply Corporation confirmed on Twitter that the explosion had affected its power supply to the area.



It took them almost an hour to fix the power supply to the area.

Khan added that the targeted area is densely populated and the explosions spread a wave of panic in the area.

Soon after the blast, a heavy contingent of police and other law enforcing officials along with rescue teams descended on the site. The blast site was cordoned off, while rescue workers shifted victims to hospitals for treatment.

Bomb Disposal (BDS) scoured the area for additional bombs and collected evidence of the explosions.

Members from different political parties condemned the incident in strong terms, while Muttahida Qaumi Movement, which is headquartered in nearby 90, appealed to observe a peaceful day of mourning on Saturday throughout the country.

MQM's Raabita Committee said business and education have suffered due to terrorism. Therefore, all the business, trade, transport and educational institutes will remain open on Saturday.





COMMENTS (23)

Jag Nathan | 8 years ago | Reply

@Mirza: Jinnah's Pakistan dies the day your Parliament passed ordnance declaring Ahmedis as non-Muslims. I have a feeling your cry for help will go unheeded. Its too late in the game and Pakistan is unraveling in front of our own eyes.

Amer | 8 years ago | Reply

The Drones will eliminate these killers

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read