Rawalpindi curfew enters day two, following clashes

Judicial commission chaired by Justice Rashid formed to carry out further investigations into the sectarian clashes.

Web Desk November 17, 2013
Second day of curfew in Rawalpindi following the clashes. PHOTO: AFP

RAWALPINDI: The curfew in Rawalpindi has been extended for a second day following fierce clashes that erupted between rival groups in the city during an Ashura procession on November 15, Express News reported on Sunday.

A judicial commission chaired by Justice Mamon Rashid has been formed to carry out further investigations into the sectarian clashes.

Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has told citizens to stay inside their homes. Mobile services have been suspended in the city indefinitely. Food and water have also become scarce because of the situation in the city.

Policemen and soldiers from regular and paramilitary units, who were called in to restore order, are patrolling the troubled areas, arresting people who violate the curfew.

Up to nine people died and dozens were injured in the clashes which continued late into the night of November 15.

Many politicians expressed concern and anger over the situation in Rawalpindi on Twitter:

Other cities

Mobile services have also been suspended in Islamabad till 2pm today.

In various cities in Punjab including Multan, Faisalabad, Chiniot and Jhang Section 144 has been imposed. Five people or more cannot gather at one place at the same time.

These security measures were taken after more than 110 people, including police personnel, had sustained injuries on November 15 and 16 amid unrest in Bahawalnagar and Multan.

A hospital, two shops and some other buildings were burnt down by angry protesters in different areas of Bahawalnagar. As many as 70 people, including two policemen, were injured in the riots. The Chishtian sub-district was subsequently handed over to the army and while Rangers were called to take over Bahwalnagar’s Haroonabad area.

Another 40 people were injured in Multan on November 16 when clashes erupted in the city. As the riots spread to over half the area of Multan, army and Rangers were called in to defuse the situation.

The Rawalpindi clashes

On November 15, sectarian clashes had erupted at a Muharram 10 procession near Fawara Chowk, that left at least nine people dead and over 80 injured.

The tragedy had occurred as mob turned against the police in the procession passing through Raja Bazaar in Pindi.

As mourners massed, a group of miscreants at 3:00pm had reportedly snatched guns from police personnel installed in the area for security, and opened fire.

As panic spread, unknown people had set a portion of the cloth market in Raja Bazaar on fire.

The situation had soon gotten out of hand and the army was called in to control the situation.

The Express News team, along with other media personnel were also assaulted by unknown men.


guest | 9 years ago | Reply

well i think it is a right decision because this incidence could lead to major violence, i think some internal or external forces wanted to trigger a massive clash to destroy the peace, also there are some indications from govt in form of extending curfew means there is something going on which they can not express to locals. Please stay calm, be safe...

Syed | 9 years ago | Reply

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-FvLP0J1oo this is the proof that ET doesn't want everyone to see.

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read