Akshay Kumar: 'Pakistanis have made valuable contribution to Bollywood'

Published: October 22, 2013
With more than 100 films to his credit, Akshay has come a long way in bollywood. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI:

Akshay Kumar, the reigning star of Indian cinema, is inarguably one of the most versatile actors ever to have set foot in B-town. With over 100 films to his name, Akshay has made his mark as a full-blown entertainer. His larger-than-life, action packed and farcical roles have been blowout hits with the masses, but that hasn’t stopped him from experimenting with other genres. The actor, who climbed the success ladder with the Khiladi series, tells The Express Tribune about his acting mantra and the Pakistani talent that he admires in an email interview.

“My secret is that I never act my age. I may be in my 40s but my heroines are usually in their 20s,” said the witty actor. Akshay is famous for displaying va-va-voom chemistry with his co-stars onscreen. For him, the key element to getting the chemistry right is establishing a comfort level with his fellow actors. He believes that if that is disturbed, it becomes evident to the audience. And that is never good. “I don’t act like a superstar. The minute there’s an inferiority complex between two actors, it becomes very uncomfortable to watch,” he said.

Akshay’s latest action flick Boss is said to be yet another South India-inspired film like Rowdy Rathore and Salman Khan’s Dabangg. Akshay considers gaining inspiration from the South to be great: “Hats off to South Indian films! They have the content that the world enjoys; it’s an honour for me to recreate their magic.”

On the question of what he thinks about Boss, Akshay said, “Boss as a film has a lot of heart and a lot of me coming through the screen … you’ll definitely enjoy it.” While the race of copying South Indian films has proven to be a success, one wonders if it will overtake the concept of showing raw and original action sequences, of which Akshay has been a maven. Also, are special effects the end of real action sequences? “That’s one of the great things about Boss; there’s nothing that I didn’t do — its full-on raw action, it’s what I like to call the real deal,” stated Akshay. “I didn’t want to make another flying dramatic CGI masterpiece — it had to be real, people had to relate to its rawness. It’s not a superhero movie; it’s about a man and his family fighting their way through endless problems,” he added.

Boss received wide commercial acclaim in India but a lukewarm response in Pakistan due to the success of Pakistani film Waar. But Akshay is not taken by this. In fact, he is happy to see Pakistani cinema growing and hopes that it will keep thriving. “No matter how great anyone is, there’s always room for improvement. Film-makers should keep experimenting with new techniques and never feel afraid of going back to film school,” he said.

In recent times, a series of Pakistani artistes have crossed the border to explore their talents and Akshay believes that Bollywood owes a lot of its diversity to Pakistani musicians and actors. “From their powerful dialogue delivery to incredible music talent, Pakistanis have made valuable contribution to Bollywood,” he said. He went to say “Some of the most memorable songs of Bollywood have been sung by Pakistani artistes and the opportunities to work together will be endless,” says an optimistic Akshay.

One artiste, who has been a constant source of learning and inspiration for Akshay is none other than our very own Umer Sharif, the famous comedian. “I’ve watched Umer Sharif since I entered the industry over 20 years ago and he is one of the best comedians of all time,” he said. “What I love most about him is his comic timing and delivery,” elaborated Akshay. “You can be the funniest man on paper but unless you’ve got the timing right, your joke will be lost. Mr Umer Sharif, I salute your gift!,” he remarked.

In conclusion, Akshay conveyed his thanks to all his Pakistani fans for the love and support that they have showered him with over the years.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 23rd, 2013.

Like Life & Style on Facebook, follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

• Khan
    Oct 22, 2013 - 9:39PM

Puh-lease. Akshay Kumar is overrated. When it comes to bombastic action, powerful dialogue, and general greatness, no one supersedes the great Afzal Khan aka John Rambo. And let’s be honest here: Johnny Rambo has had way more success than the so called “Akshay Kumar.” ET: more coverage of Pakistani entertainment greats, please!

• Raja
    Oct 22, 2013 - 10:30PM

Johny who? Akshay is known worldwide!

• 123
    Oct 22, 2013 - 11:48PM

@ khan

dude he appreciated your country, dont be bitter.

• Singh
    Oct 23, 2013 - 12:08AM

@Khan: Who is Johnny Rambo?

• bangash
    Oct 23, 2013 - 1:00AM

I like this fellow he has always been humble and a class act. Akshay Kumar has lots of fans in Pakistan.Recommend

• observer
    Oct 23, 2013 - 1:29AM

PLEASE!! I met Akshay way back in 1990s in Bahrain at a gathering. He was the most arrogant and “I am too cool for everybody” kind of guy. He was not even in so many movies at that time. Never seen anyone so full of themselves.It is always easy to pretend for the media but when you meet some of them face to face in gatherings is where their real personality comes out!
    On the other hand I met Saif Ali khan… the most humble personality ever. His demeanor was so down to earth and he had a lot of interesting things to say.

• Atif
    Oct 23, 2013 - 2:19AM

Though I dont watch bollywood movies these days because of much work. But I was always a fan of Akshay.

• Bilal Khan
    Oct 23, 2013 - 2:28AM

Akshay Kumar , we love you here in Pakistan. Dont be distracted by loosers posting here.

• BRUISED INDIAN
    Oct 23, 2013 - 2:44AM

After Namaste London I had begun to believe that perhaps this guy can actually do some cinema without flexing his muscles or beating up baddies. I WAS WRONG!

His ‘get me sick in the stomach’ action masala movies are horrible and pathetic – seriously – I get a lot of facepalm moments when I see this guy on screen… Rowdy Rathore? Like Seriously??

But then I am one of those very few in a million who doesn’t like such cheesy flicks; the masses love them and that’s where he and others get their patronage and daily bread from.

• Latif
    Oct 23, 2013 - 4:35AM

Akshay Kumar is overrated!!!

• IndianDude
    Oct 23, 2013 - 4:36AM

I have to agree with akshay kumar that the pakistani artists have made contribution to bollywood and indian music. It is also true that many pakistani artist have survived and progressed due to largess of the bollywood and indians. If it weren’t for india and bollywoodm the pakistani artist would have wilted away in regressive pakistani society.

• Adil Uddin
    Oct 23, 2013 - 6:10AM

@observer:

Did you mistype or what? Saif Ali Khan and humble? Isn’t he the same guy who broke nose of a senior citizen last year.

• Humza
    Oct 23, 2013 - 8:49AM

Shaan Shahid > Akshay Kumar

• Gurion
    Oct 23, 2013 - 9:40AM

The major Pakistani contribution by far being watching the Bollywood movies!

• Abdul Rauf
    Oct 23, 2013 - 9:45AM

Akshay is a great actor and humble too. I am sure he must be a nice man in his private life too!

• ks
    Oct 23, 2013 - 10:35AM

I loved Akshay Kumar more than any Khan since I know him. He is true Punjabi Puttar.

• Deep
    Oct 23, 2013 - 12:05PM

Akki is a real man tall,macho and daring unlike khans, the stunts Akki did in his movies khans can never dream of dong such stunts. I will always respect this man for being a self made star and his action stunts.

• I am a Khan
    Oct 23, 2013 - 2:15PM

Akshay Kumar is a good actor and his action sequences are nice. I hope Boss shows some good action. I loved Bruce Lee’s ‘Big Boss’

• Oct 23, 2013 - 2:46PM

@Khan:
    Please talk some sense.

• Salman
    Oct 23, 2013 - 4:20PM

I’ve always thought Akshay’s comedy had some sprinkling of Umer Sharif’s style!

• Karim
    Oct 23, 2013 - 6:27PM

9 have met Akshya. HE is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He is not building just on his books or family name.

• Rehan Sheikh
    Oct 24, 2013 - 8:17PM

I am a Pakistani living in London and truly honoured by Akshay’s support to Pakistan. Outside Bollywood he is one of the most inspirational human beings, and its good to see other Pakistani here in support of him. Inside Bollywood he is by far one of the best, most daring, and most athletic actors there is. Not to mention how he’s also the best at action. He is known worldwide and the same cannot be said for most artists in Pakistan.

• Rashid
    Oct 30, 2013 - 10:49AM

Akshay is right pakistanis have always made great contributions but mainly toward promoting bollywood. Pakistanis love bollywood films, actors, songs, everything. Our electronic and print media promotes bollywood day and night. Indian styling, songs are part of our every day life.

More in Film