Finishing touches: Gwadar Port to be operational in six months

By APP
Published: October 19, 2013
Email
The officials said that the Gwadar 
Port is expected to become operational in the next five-six months and almost 60% work the road linkage has been completed. PHOTO: FILE

The officials said that the Gwadar Port is expected to become operational in the next five-six months and almost 60% work the road linkage has been completed. PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD: 

Officials of the Ministry of Ports and Shipping on Friday said that the government is working on a plan to equip ports with modern facilities. They said that an IT based database system will be installed next month at all the ports which will help track movement of containers.

The officials said that the ship breaking industry is being moved to Port Qasim with 170 acres of land earmarked and development work planned for the purpose, whereas about 3000 industries are being shifted to Port Qasim.

They said that uninterrupted power supply would be ensured with 500MW of electricity production through a coal plant while another 600MW will be added with the help of the British government after utilisation of solid waste at Karachi Port. The officials said that the Gwadar Port is expected to become operational in the next five-six months and almost 60% work the road linkage has been completed.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 19th, 2013.

Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (4)

  • Asad Khan
    Oct 19, 2013 - 1:46AM

    According to Business Recorder:

    “The officials also said that Gwadar Port is expected to become fully operational in the next five to six months. Almost sixty percent work on linking roads has been completed.”

    ……incomplete news,

    regards,Recommend

  • khan of quetta
    Oct 19, 2013 - 7:33AM

    hmm it will not replace karachi

    Recommend

  • Dawood Mohammed
    Oct 19, 2013 - 12:01PM

    I have been hearing this for many years. Gwadar will do this in 6 months and do that in 6 months. It started with its privatization process in 2005-2007 when it was finally awarded to PSA AKD consortium. 900 acres of land was also allocated as a Industrial free zone, Duty Free status was granted and there was a 40 year lease. All of these things were unusual. Normally in the world a 20-25 year lease is granted. Industrial development area is separate from thee port operator, etc. But PSA- AKD promised 8 billion dollars of investment so all this was given.

    But NOTHING was done. I bought some land there on those promises. But nothing happened. Maybe 2 or 3 ships landed in the 6 years it was under PSA AKD. Now more promises. But for small investor like me even my land sold to me is on ‘Qabzah’ with someone else. They claim my papers are false! I paid a lot of money! Where is the ehtisab to those who did not keep their promises? And sold fake land? No justice for small people like me?

    Lets see how this promise is kept. Nothing will happen.

    Dawood Mohammed

    Recommend

  • Oct 19, 2013 - 2:24PM

    The road link is the key of suscess for ge afar port . If the only 60% work has been done when the remaining 40% will be completed. I am not sure that the 5 to 6 months are enough for this work. Hope the best .

    Recommend

More in Business