Dedicated public servant: First female ASP from lower Sindh ready to clean house

Published: October 11, 2013
My parents' dedication to my educational pursuits paid off, says ASP Suhai Aziz Talpur .

KARACHI:

ASP Suhai Aziz Talpur, the first woman from lower Sindh to join the police at this rank, was once shunned by her relatives. And only because her parents thought she deserved to be educated.

“When my parents decided to enroll me at a school, most of our relatives started taunting my family. So much so, that my family had to leave our village and move to a nearby town,” she recalled. “But the moment I cleared my Central Superior Services (CSS) exams and was told that I’d be joining the police department as an assistant superintendant police (ASP), the same people started approaching me by claiming to be my long-lost relatives. This is the power of education and being a female, I am proud to have this power.”

At the age of 25, Suhai will be the first woman from lower Sindh [Thatta, Badin, Tando Muhammad Khan, Mirpurkhas, Umerkot and Tharparkar districts] to join the police in November. “My first preference was district management group and the police force was second. My percentage in the exams, however, qualifies me to join the police force. I know the uniform has its own power and I will try my best to use it for good.”

Strong roots

Suhai belongs to a lower middle class family of Bhai Khan Talpur village in Tando Muhammad Khan district. Her father Aziz Talpur, a political activist and writer, always dreamt big for his daughter. “My relatives cut off ties with me because I wanted Suhai to study as they were only in favour of religious education,” Aziz told The Express Tribune. “But I vowed to provide my daughter quality education. Now I know my efforts were successful.”

Suhai started her primary education at a private school in Tando Muhammad Khan and joined Bahria Foundation for her intermediate studies.

Her educational path then led her to pursue BCom from the Zubaida Girls College, Hyderabad. “My family wanted me to become a chartered accountant but I found the job to be very dull as it had no social value,” she said. “That is when I appeared for CSS and cleared it in first attempt.”

She credited her success to hard work and her upbringing. “My parents are nationalists. As a child, they used to emphasise that I memorise Sindhi poetry. This developed my interest in literature and history, leading me to secure top marks in both the subjects in the CSS exams.”

(Un)suitable candidates

Although small in number, female officers have managed to make it to the top on their own.

Earlier, only two women in Sindh cleared the CSS and were working in the police department on senior posts – ASP Irum Awan and Shehla Qureshi.

Awan was the first female ASP to be posted in Ghotki, a district known for tribal clashes and dacoit culture. “I worked hard to stop honour killings as I could understand the plight of the victims,” she said.

Three other female officers enjoy senior positions but they joined through the Sindh Public Service Commission (SPSC) or were political appointees. Naseem Ara Panhwar, from Mirpurkhas, serves as the SSP in the driving licence branch. She was appointed in 1995 when the Pakistan Peoples Party-led government had directly recruited DSPs in the police through the SPSC. “It’s a tough but appealing job,” she said. “More young and vibrant women should come forward because not only do they have equal potential as their male counterparts but they would also be in a better position to solve women’s issues.”

SP Traffic Jalees Fatima and Establishment ADIG Noushaba Kausar are two other female officers who have been given high ranks in the department.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 11th, 2013.

• Thor
    Oct 11, 2013 - 1:42AM

congrats, we need more parent like u have!

• Xen
    Oct 11, 2013 - 1:45AM

other should also get inspiration from it. finaly im able to make a day

• Syed A. Mateen
    Oct 11, 2013 - 3:16AM

Good luck Suhai Aziz Talpur.

Keep it up!

May Al-Mighty Allah be always with you. Ameen.

• Saad
    Oct 11, 2013 - 5:49AM

Respect!

• Rana Majid Khan
    Oct 11, 2013 - 6:14AM

Great parents Great daughter

• Zahid
    Oct 11, 2013 - 7:41AM

I am really proud of you and your line must be followed.

• Nadia
    Oct 11, 2013 - 8:53AM

Suhai congratulations and salute to your father.

• HH
    Oct 11, 2013 - 9:14AM

Wow!!! what an inspiration!!

• Parvez Amin
    Oct 11, 2013 - 10:07AM

Suhai I admire and respect your guts. Here is some advice from a senior. You have joined perhaps the most corruption riddled public service. Look around you and do not allow the evil members of your department to benefit from evil deeds. First protect yourself, then inform your seniors. You will only be effective if the report you make cannot be ascribed to you. Make sure the corrupt in the department are punished. If you find the advice effective, you will have joined the ranks of those struggling to build a shandar Pakistan. More advice is available but the space is limited.

• MK
    Oct 11, 2013 - 10:11AM

Many congratulation to you and your family. especially to your father’s vision to educate you despite society pressure.

In response to your comment “My family wanted me to become a chartered accountant but I found the job to be very dull as it had no social value”, i want to tell you that It is learned truth that become chartered accountant (CA) is more difficult then passing CSS. i have seen many offending CA giving such lame excuses, in reality they are justifying thier fear of failure.

• Junaid Shah
    Oct 11, 2013 - 10:15AM

Great Suhai. You have set new precedent for other women folk. Good luckRecommend

• Proudofyou
    Oct 11, 2013 - 10:26AM

Go get them girl! :)

• HS
    Oct 11, 2013 - 10:31AM

I salute you Suhai!

• RJ
    Oct 11, 2013 - 10:49AM

I’m proud of you sister as Sindhi speaking citizen of Pakistan!
    Congratulations to you and your family!

• Aftab Ali
    Oct 11, 2013 - 11:04AM

congrats.

• Mazahir
    Oct 11, 2013 - 11:24AM

Respect and wish you success ahead!

• M. Ahmed
    Oct 11, 2013 - 12:20PM

You set a goal for yourself in life and finally achieved it. This is a inspiring success story from Sindh. No matter if the educational institutions you attended were not the big names but still through sheer hard work you must have made it up on your own.

You are a beacon of light. Others too must learn from your academic pursuit and make every effort to shine in life. Each individual should aim for the stars!

• Rimsha
    Oct 11, 2013 - 12:52PM

This slap in the face of conservatives and extremists element who are vocal against women education. ET great job for highlighting the story of a woman of lower middle class family living in rural area of Sindh who has proved that women are even more brave than men specially when they stand up for some cause. I am really pleased

• Abdul Raqeeb
    Oct 11, 2013 - 12:54PM

I am proud of your remarkable achievement. Hopping for betterment of Sinhi women who are persecuted into the private jail.

• Ovais
    Oct 11, 2013 - 1:04PM

Father political activist .. tells alot .. Jialay

• ashar
    Oct 11, 2013 - 3:40PM

She will regret or get herself into the SYSTEM.

• sattar rind
    Oct 11, 2013 - 5:04PM

I wish her all The success and pray to God all perent may be like her perents for their doughters.

• Humble Pie
    Oct 11, 2013 - 5:20PM

Suhai Aziz Talpur, Zindagi Gulzar Hai :)Recommend

• Hasan
    Oct 11, 2013 - 6:11PM

I’m Very Proud Of Her.

Althoguh I would like to make a comment. She had another advantage being a sindhi speaking native. Two one my cousins, both bright student high very high marks top of there class from Karachi in the 90’s; one of them a Position Holder from NED; both were rejected, they sucessfully completed there academic portion with flying number and physical portion as well; but when it came to interview, they were rejected. Only questions they were asked; where was your mother/father born and where were your grand parents born. Taking by no surprise the person interviewing was a Sindhi Native belonging from interior Sindh; and my cousin’s were urdu speaking, with our grand parents being those who migrated at the time of partition. Alhumdullah, they both went on to get higher education in top-foreign universities and settled abroad. Yet our nation was left (or kept) by fuedal; so they can govern; and honest and educated were forced stay away form making an impact.

(FYI: I am taking any credit away from the girl nor her hard work; just trying to shed some light on how other deserving candidates are discriminated).

• Gemini
    Oct 11, 2013 - 6:37PM

Last month my friend passed CSS Exams with bright colors, But they asked 2 lacs for posting. Her name says everything, I know she is conveying a good mess for Women education but don’t forget her surname is Talpur. There are thousands of people who have successfully cleared CSS exams but can’t join specific Dept because they don’t have posting money.

• Mudassir
    Oct 11, 2013 - 6:38PM

Goodluck and may you keep up the good work. This country needs some dedicated and hard working in its veins!

• Oct 11, 2013 - 7:01PM

marvellous story.
    a good news from the Sindh

• ashar
    Oct 11, 2013 - 7:11PM

@Hasan:
    Please dont try to play mohajir card. Mohajirs have already given power for the last thirteen years on the basis of their so called ahsaas e mehroomi and they came out with equally corrupt ministers, governor and the like so no difference. Had the girls you mentioned been selected, Pakistan would not be a different country.

• A Shaikh
    Oct 11, 2013 - 7:40PM

@Hasan:
    My cousin studied at Karachi grammar school and later went to LUMS. After graduation he appeared in CSS, but could not qualify even though he is Sindhi from rural area. His father has served as federal secretary and also member of public service commission. He also gives different lame excuses like you. Please avoid the stereotype accusations and face the reality and accept the talent

• Rex Minor
    Oct 11, 2013 - 7:45PM

So you have become a police woman! What is the big deal joining the public service; the first thing you are doing is to denegrade your relatives, the next you would do is wear the uniform and go up and down in your village. No madam, you have choosen a profession to spend the rest of your life with criminals and not normal people. Your father is thinking of the British Raj times when the police officers were the rulers and the citizens were the native Indians.
    Now you are the officer but not the ruler and your company will be with the natives who might be from your own family. This is not eucation nor enlightenment, one woul think that you would take up a profession in the University or the media world to influence the future of the Nation.

Rex Minor

• Na-maloom Afraad
    Oct 11, 2013 - 8:00PM

She is so cute… I am willing to surrender!!!….. :-P

• sikander
    Oct 11, 2013 - 8:17PM

Welcome to Real World Sis..

• Hasnain Quraishi
    Oct 11, 2013 - 9:47PM

• Hasnain Quraishi
    Oct 11, 2013 - 9:49PM

you have seen your relatives’ reality , now they will see your reality , :) be positive and stay blessed :)Recommend

• ss
    Oct 11, 2013 - 11:03PM

a proud sindhi <3Recommend

• Hasan
    Oct 11, 2013 - 11:28PM

@Ashar, I had simply stated Urdu Speaking where did Muhajir or Muhajir Card came into this conversation. You people have problem if people like me call themselves Muhajir (even though we are third generation descendents); yet its very easy for you to rationalize. :-(

• Zahid Tunio
    Oct 12, 2013 - 12:59AM

• Zahid Tunio
    Oct 12, 2013 - 1:05AM

• Many congratulation to you and your family my sister. Particularly to your father’s apparition to instruct you regardless of society pressure & this is the slap in the face of traditionalist and purist’s who choral resistance for women education its great job for highlighting the story of a woman of lower middle class family living in rural area of Sindh rural who has proved that women are still more fearless than men specially when they stand up for some cause. I am truly delighted for on victorious aspiration because this is the great achievement of rural sindh & for sindhi speaking.

• Tarique Malik
    Oct 12, 2013 - 1:07AM

I am so happy to read this news. Congratulation, May Allah bless you more and more, don’t forget your parents who supported you and just because of you left all other relatives and always try to help poor, needy and helpless people. In our society no one stand for poor and femailes in their difficault time. Shahbash.

• Aly shafa
    Oct 12, 2013 - 1:09AM

Congrats
    wish you best of luck please always try to be usfull for opressed class of society specially for females in rural area , hope you will utilize ur reachable means to promote quality education for people from the lower class, education is the only tool which can lead a successfull life , i my self working for quality education , opend a public school for quality education of femaes in a very remote are of gilgit Baltistan where local notables were against female education , now gals of our area a enjoying English meduim schooling at door step inshllah i wish high professional ladies from our area in different field like you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, inshllah

• Mr G
    Oct 12, 2013 - 10:35AM

Your blessed indeed. Congratulations!

• Noor Murad Mazari
    Oct 12, 2013 - 11:57AM

Congratulations

• Zahid Mirani
    Oct 12, 2013 - 1:15PM

Congratulation to you Suhai Aziz Talpur, best of luck.

• ROSHAN
    Oct 12, 2013 - 2:07PM

I am really proud of you and your line must be followed.
    ROSHAN ALI SOOMRO DISTRICT THARPARKAR @ MITHI.

• ROSHAN ALI SOOMRO
    Oct 12, 2013 - 2:08PM

I am really proud of you and your line must be followed.

• Moiz Omar
    Oct 12, 2013 - 3:30PM

Good on her family! We need more parents like that!! And I wish her good luck in her new career! Work hard for the Nation!

• ashar
    Oct 12, 2013 - 3:57PM

@Hasan:
    I am also a mohajir little man. But the way our ahsaas e mehroomi has been exploited is something I would regret throughout my life.We were the leaders of the entire country now we cannot live peacefully even in district central Karachi and it is not because we were deprived of selection in CSS.

• Human
    Oct 12, 2013 - 5:42PM

C’mon People! What is wrong with you, even here you started arguing over ethnicity. Why do not you understand that she is not Sindhi, Urdu speaking or Punjabi but Pakistani girl and we all should be proud of her, wish her luck and pray that Allah blesses our whole country with such pleasant changes. ameen

• faraz
    Oct 12, 2013 - 6:57PM

congratulations

• Haroon Azer
    Oct 13, 2013 - 8:18AM

With the depth of my heart congratulations to all daughters- from Karachi to Peshawar. The success of Suhai Talpur is a pleasant reminder that our daughters can compete in any walk of life in this male dominant society.
    It’s also a very important social indicator depicting positive development.
    I salute her great father who stood bravely for the education and progress.
    A lesson for all of us: If we want change, we must encourage our daughters so as they can get educated and achieve positive goals.

• Oct 13, 2013 - 11:22AM

A big hand for this girl..

• Oct 13, 2013 - 2:53PM

best wishes for bright future.

• Ali
    Oct 13, 2013 - 4:22PM

Recently, a report was published how copy culture had been flourshing even in CSS exam. I m not saying this young and vibrant girl has also adopted this trail, but want to divert attention of readers that even CSS is not spared from copy culture menace.

regards

• ghaffar
    Oct 13, 2013 - 8:03PM

Ms talpur congratulates to u and ur family. May ALLAH guide u in ur future carrer. regards

• Bule bhai
    Oct 14, 2013 - 12:56AM

I personally can’t believe the merit in CSS, FPSC and SPSC. this all is fraud. No one can qualify the exame without source. Impossible

• Oct 14, 2013 - 12:19PM

Congratulation with my my heart,I encourage to all our Sindhi and Pakistani youth girls and boys they can also get higher education for respect of our local area and All Pakistan. The Successfully of Suhai Aziz Talpur a lesson and pleasant reminder that our daughters can compete in any walk of life in this male dominant society.It’s also a very important social indicator depicting positive development.I should salute her great father who stood bravely for the education and progress.

• Rabail Talpur
    Oct 15, 2013 - 1:19PM

We proud of you suhai baji ur inspiration for all the youngsters……..:-)

• Pasanni
    Oct 16, 2013 - 5:03AM

I Solute Mam, go ahead, Allah be with you, stay blessed :)

• seema
    Oct 16, 2013 - 4:31PM

congratulation
    may ALLAH successed us

• YOUNUS MASIH
    Oct 19, 2013 - 11:06PM

May God Bless to you with whole your family.

• Mahum
    Oct 20, 2013 - 11:48PM

Congratulations! suhai, you’re truly an inspiration. Best of luck.

• Oct 22, 2013 - 7:33PM

Welcome aboard! Public Servant to CSS (Civil Service of Pakistan).

Great share For all those Aspiring Youth who wish to have the Roadmap shared to get to the same shared/envisioned destination.
    visit http://www.fpsc.gov.pk before the last date 31/10/2013 and take CSS 2014 preparatory classes in UOK starting next month.

There is a dire need to share with the Citizens (Maanoo) of Pakistani Land to help them know the facts about everything happening around. Nothing is impossible, If we have strong believe that “Ilm hasil karna her Aurat aur Mard per farz hai”. There are ways and simple process to seek guidance in today’s post modern world. Not to blame Load Shedding and scarce resources here but envisioning self reliance, alternative sustainable green futures will help succeed.

Lastly, Awareness leads to Educated, Developed, Peaceful and Green Pakistan where Nature sustains.

:) Smile

• rizwan talpur
    Oct 26, 2013 - 6:12AM

many many congrates to you and dr. sahaab. may alighmighty Allah bless you through out the carrer.