ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said on Monday that cellular phones will not be suspended on Eidul Fitr, Express News reported. Nisar advised police officials to stay alert and vigilant to any possibility of terror threat. He added that other steps would be taken to ensure security since cellular services weren’t being suspended. As per the orders of the Interior Minister, no city will face the suspension of cellular services during Eid. However, he said that the provincial governments could suspend cellular services if they felt the security situation demanded it. Last year, cellular services were suspended on the festive day on the orders of the former interior minister Rehman Malik. Malik had made the case that terrorists used mobile phones to detonate explosive devices and carry out other terror activities.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 6th, 2013.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ