Rooney is not for sale, insist Manchester United

English Premier League champions reject second Chelsea bid for striker.


Agencies August 05, 2013
Chelsea’s second bid for Manchester United striker is understood to be in the £25 million region. PHOTO: REUTERS

LONDON:


Manchester United have rejected a second offer from rivals Chelsea for unsettled forward Wayne Rooney, the Premier League champions said yesterday.


Chelsea tabled an improved bid for Rooney, having had an initial cash offer rebuffed last month.

“A bid was received yesterday and immediately rejected,” a United spokesperson told the BBC. “Our position remains that he is not for sale.”

England striker Rooney has been reported to be ‘angry and confused’ with his situation at United.

He was upset at comments by new manager David Moyes that suggested he was a backup to Premier League top scorer Robin van Persie, and has been the subject of transfer speculation since retired manager Alex Ferguson said at the end of last season that the 27-year-old had asked to leave the club.

Rooney has two years left of a contract that earns him a basic salary of some £250,000 a week.

United have given up on Fabregas: Barca chief

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has claimed that Manchester United have abandoned their interest in Cesc Fabregas, according to reports in the Spanish media.

United have already had two bids for the Spanish international rejected by La Liga champions.

“Manchester United were interested in the player, but they have also understood our stance that we don’t want to sell him,” the former Spain goalkeeper was quoted as saying by Barcelona based daily Sport. “They have given up on signing him.”

Despite claiming the first league title of his career last season, Fabregas has endured a largely frustrating time in the two years since he returned to the club he left as a 16-year-old to join Arsenal.

However, with the sale of Thiago Alcantara to Bayern Munich and the 33-year-old Xavi expected to play fewer games this season, Zubizarreta insisted Fabregas will be a key part of the squad.

“Cesc is an extraordinary player, we are counting on him. He has vision, he helps in defence, he is our number four and we are not going to sell him.”

Fabregas scored twice on his first appearance of the season for the Catalans in their 8-0 hammering of Santos on Friday and has travelled with the squad to take part in coaching clinics in Palestine and Israel before they embark on a tour of Asia. 

Published in The Express Tribune, August 6th, 2013.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ