In broad daylight: Frontier Reserve Police official injured in attack

Gunman and driver gunned down by assailants on motorcycle.

Our Correspondent July 26, 2013
Funeral prayers for the slain bodyguard and driver of the Frontier Reserve Police Deputy Commandant were held at Police Lines on Thursday. PHOTO: INP


Frontier Reserve Police (FRP) Deputy Commandant Gul Wali Khan was seriously injured while his driver and gunman were killed when unidentified motorcyclists opened fire at his vehicle in Gulbahar on Thursday morning.

The deputy commandant was en route to his office from his residence in Gulbahar when the attack took place. As his vehicle reached Anam Sanam Chowk, armed men, who were lying in wait, opened fire at the car. The attack left Gul Wali seriously injured while his gunman Muhammad Yousaf and driver Mukamal Shah died on the spot.

The gunshots caused widespread panic among residents. Though the attack took place in a crowded area in broad daylight, the attackers were able to escape. Police later launched a large scale search operation in the area and arrested several suspects who were shifted to the police station for interrogation.

Funeral prayers Shah and Yousaf were offered at Malik Saad Shaheed Police Lines. Senior minister Sikandar Sherpao, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa IGP and others were among those present.

Targeting policemen with deadly bomb attacks and ambushes started soon after the May 11 general elections. In addition to claiming the lives of several constables in the city, the attacks have also resulted in the deaths of a DSP, an SHO and head constable Shehzad Gul.

On June 24, DSP Traffic Amanalluh and his driver Amjad were killed when they were fired upon by unidentified militants as they left the DSP’s house in Saeedabad. Similarly, on June 26, Hayatabad SHO Mira Jan was killed while four other persons were injured when militants fired at their van in Karkhano Market. Jan was escorting Nato vehicles when three men on a motorcycle opened fire at his vehicle. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack on Jan through their spokesperson Ehsanullah Ehsan. Later on July 5, Head Constable Shehzad Gul was gunned down outside Assembly of God Church in Umidabad. At his funeral, IGP Ihsan Ghani promised police would not falter in their resolve despite the bloody onslaught.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 26th, 2013.