Toure backs ‘unbelievable’ Pellegrini

Manchester City mid-fielder confident new manager will do ‘great things’.


Afp July 25, 2013
Toure is confident new City manager Pellegrini will deliver the goods this season. PHOTO: AFP

HONG KONG: Influential midfielder Yaya Toure backed new manager Manuel Pellegrini to bring silverware to Manchester City, describing him as ‘unbelievable’.

The former Malaga coach got his first victory as City boss in a 1-0 win over South China in Hong Kong on Wednesday, having only arrived in the region a day earlier after the death of his mother.

Toure said he hopes the Chilean, who replaced the sacked Roberto Mancini, can bring trophies to the Etihad after rivals Manchester United romped to the Premier League title last season.

“Last year, we have to be honest, United were much better than us,” said the former Barcelona man, 30.



“We are working and trying to understand and learn from the new manager, who had a fantastic record in the past in Spain.”

On Pellegrini, he added, “Unbelievable, great things, his ability to manage is unbelievable and he’s doing fantastically well. We are all focused on him and trying to understand what he wants us to deliver and what he wants us to do on the pitch.

“He’s an unbelievable guy, a very good guy, and dedicated to his work, and you can see his commitment. He’s a very good choice for Man City and I hope he’s going to bring a lot of trophies.

“When you change managers, sometimes it is quite hard because you need to adapt to the new formation. But with the new signings I think it is going to be very exciting.”

City have been the biggest spenders over the summer as they attempt to wrestle the Premier League crown back from Old Trafford.

They have brought in strikers Alvaro Negredo from Sevilla and Stevan Jovetic from Fiorentina, as well as Spanish midfielder Jesus Navas and Brazil midfielder Fernandinho from Shakhtar Donetsk.

“They are amazing. I already know them because some of them have come from Spain ... they are great players and we welcome them to Man City.

“I hope the fans will enjoy them and they will help the club lift a couple of trophies this year.”

Fabregas bid ongoing: David Moyes

Manchester United manager David Moyes insisted that they are continuing their pursuit of signing Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas, according to Sky Sports.

Despite having two bids rejected by the Catalan giants for the Spain international, Moyes said they have not given up hope of luring the former Arsenal man to Old Trafford.

Asked about the potential deal at a press conference yesterday, Moyes said, “It is ongoing.”

The new United boss also confirmed that Robin van Persie, who suffered from a thigh strain during Tuesday’s loss in Yokohama and had to be taken off, was likely to feature in today’s friendly against Cerezo Osaka.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 26th, 2013.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

Our Publications

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ