Death toll rises to 9 after Sukkur ISI attack

The dead include five attackers, and four police and intelligence officials.


Afp July 25, 2013
Policemen and rescuers at the site of suicide attack in Sukkur. PHOTO: AFP

PESHAWAR: The death toll has risen to nine from a suicide car bomb attack on ISI office and police living quarters in Sukkur, officials said Thursday.

The dead include five attackers, and four police and intelligence officials, a spokesman for the paramilitary Rangers told AFP after the attack late Wednesday in the normally sleepy town.

Officials had previously put the death toll at seven, saying Wednesday that the five attackers, one intelligence agent and another government official had been killed.

"We rounded up several people on Wednesday night after the attack and are interrogating them," the Rangers official said.

An intelligence official told AFP that the attack had destroyed the local branch of the ISI and damaged newly-constructed residential quarters for police officers.

It was the worst attack in Pakistan during Ramazan so far.

Officials blamed militants for Wednesday's attack, confirming that they do have a presence in the Sukkur area.

Police said the attackers stormed the complex as people were eating after sundown, detonating two bombs outside the police building and the ISI office.

COMMENTS (9)

ali ahmed | 8 years ago | Reply

as long as we select incompetent person on the basis of quota system.....we will never progress

Mirza | 8 years ago | Reply

Where are the negotiators and Taliban apologists now? Enjoying the weather in the UK palace.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read