Chelsea confirm bid for Rooney

Reports suggest Blues made an opening offer of £20m for United striker.


Afp July 17, 2013
Reports claim Rooney was angry at United coach Moyes’ comments of using him as a back-up to striker Van Persie. PHOTO: AFP

LONDON: Chelsea yesterday confirmed they had made a written offer for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney for an undisclosed sum, but denied that any player had been proposed as a make-weight.

British reports earlier said the Premier League champions had rejected Chelsea’s offer for the disaffected England striker.

“Chelsea Football Club can confirm that yesterday it made a written offer to Manchester United for the transfer of Wayne Rooney,” said a club statement.

British media said Chelsea had made a £10 million with either mid-fielder Juan Mata or defender David Luiz thrown in.

The club statement did not reveal the price offered for Rooney but it said no player had been offered as part of the deal.

“Although the terms of the offer are confidential, for avoidance of doubt and contrary to what is apparently being briefed to the press in Sydney, the proposed purchase price does not include the transfer or loan of any players from Chelsea to Manchester United,” added the club.

Meanwhile, United boss David Moyes has repeatedly stressed that Rooney, who is said to have asked for a transfer in May, is not for sale.

“It’s hard to keep repeating myself but I will — Wayne’s a  United player and will remain that,” said Moyes last week.

Rooney, however, was reported to be ‘angry and confused’ by later comments from Moyes that he would be used as back-up to striker Robin van Persie next season.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 18th, 2013.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read